New guy question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I recently bought a 1994 tw200 with only 3,500 miles on it.Awesome shape for age.It has a 13T front and a 50T rear.After reading 100's of forum posts I have desided to regear to a 14T front.I use the bike to go back and forth to work,which is only 3 miles each way, and maybe a little driving around town.I would like the top speed to cruise around 50-55,but be able to do tight trails and forest hills without burning clutch out. Your thoughts?
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

Try running 50-55 with your current setup for a while. I am running stock gears and have no trouble running 55 on a flat road. I don't need the low first gear that often in the stuff I ride in, but when I need it, I sometimes wish for a gear even lower!

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullspit View Post
    Try running 50-55 with your current setup for a while. I am running stock gears and have no trouble running 55 on a flat road. I don't need the low first gear that often in the stuff I ride in, but when I need it, I sometimes wish for a gear even lower!
    True with me too. I occasionally hit 60 and a bit more without noticing. Yeah, it would be nice to have just one more gear, but I said the same thing with my five-speed Honda Shadow on the same road. 55 mph, steady, no problem at all in the stock gearing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Welcome to the posting end of the forum by the way.

Make sure your carb has the right jets

My stock gearing can creep at a slow walk and seems to have fine power

I agree with the others. With stock gears, the TW is a solid 55 MPH bike. I also agree with the carb tune comment.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Thanks for the reply.I live in northern Idaho ,so the speed aspect of it is no concern,our top speed in town is 45 mph.My main question is will I be disappointed in a 14T & 50T combo for riding some fairly steep trails.My riding is probably going to be 80% forest trails and 20% town.No freeway riding.I would like to only regear once.Thanks.
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

That considered, I think you'll be fine with a 14 tooth front. You'll be in 5th at 45 on the road and you'll be in 3rd or 4th on the forest roads, depending. For the technical stuff, probably 2nd and for the really technical stuff, maybe 1st. With stock gearing, around here (Bitterroot Valley), I could throw away 1st gear and not miss it. It's all asphalt and forest service roads and non-technical trails. It's a bit sad, really.

I never planned to ride this bike on the highway, but it does 60 no problem at all unless I'm on an uphill grade. I really just planned on using it mostly off-road but I've been riding it just about everywhere. That rear Cyclerack makes it handy for all sorts of things. Recycling 5 gallons of used oil, getting groceries, filling propane tanks, sending packages... Point being, 14/50 and we'd be geared the same. From what it sounds like, that's even taller than what you need.

How is it treating you with the 13 on the front?
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

You probably saw this, but just in case you didn't, there's a sprocket calculator sticky in the tech forum:

http://www.it-ideas.net/bike/calc.htm

I went from a 14x50 to a 15x50 and it is still low geared enough even for gnarly hills. I've had it up to 72 mph indicated on a nice long flat straight road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links