First oil change, now a tapping sound
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First oil change, now a tapping sound

I just got a 2008 tw200 and thought that I should do an oil change. I'm not sure what type of oil was in it when I bought it, but I put in 10w-40. Now there is a tapping sound when the bike is idling. I just want to make sure that I didn't do something wrong with the oil change. The oil level looks good and when I unscrewed the bolt referenced in the "How to change your own oil" post, oil did leak out. Should oil just kinda leak out slowly or should I see a good flow? Does this sound ok, or do I have a big problem. Thanks

A tapping sound that wasn't there before the oil change would concern me. At first I was thinking that you might have gotten one of the wrong oil filters, but if you have oil flowing to the head that probably isn't the case.

Oil leaking out slowly is what I get from the bolt.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing (instead of me who doesn't) will come along with some ideas.

Did you put the filter/screen in the wrong direction?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Small's View Post
    Did you put the filter/screen in the wrong direction?

No. The filter is in with the slots and holes side in first, and I don't see oil leaking anywhere. I here the sound when it's idling, but it seems to go away when I give it a little gas.

Put ear plugs in and ride the poo out of it!

Tapping is normal with these bikes. Different types of do different things to our bikes. The ticking will probably go away. Mine ticked for the first 500 miles or so but quit after an oil change.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Not knowing the oil type that was in it may be the answer... What if they had 20/50w ?????? Well ride it for a while and keep an eye (ear) out for something worse.. It may take a few miles for the motor to get use to the new oil........... Is the new oil for cycle use, not just car oil???? Semi-syn/full syn, or dino oil..... Good luck. OMM.

I've been watching this thread with some interest. I don't have a specific answer for the OP, but I will say using cheap oil (the Car Quest labeled brand, for example) in the Jeep 4.0 will give me intermittent tappit noise that eventually goes away after a change to good oil. Perhaps this is the case, or as was mentioned, the previous owner had a thicker oil in there. I hope it's something as simple as that or maybe it's due for a valve adjustment?
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Quote Originally Posted by omm View Post
    Not knowing the oil type that was in it may be the answer... What if they had 20/50w ?????? Well ride it for a while and keep an eye (ear) out for something worse.. It may take a few miles for the motor to get use to the new oil........... Is the new oil for cycle use, not just car oil???? Semi-syn/full syn, or dino oil..... Good luck. OMM.

Yeah, I'd make sure that the 10w40 you used was motorcycle specific (JASO-MA label).

From recent experience, I found I had huge improvement in engine noise and shifting when I changed to Yamaha Semi Synth.

While these engines are noisy, I'd be concerned if its this noticeably worse after an oil change.

It'd be worth the $11-16 of swapping out for a higher quality oil and seeing if that remedies the problem, rather than running on it for the next 4k miles and finding you've damaged the engine...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links