Battery tender
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Battery tender

Battery tender

I am getting ready to install a battery tender on my TW and I don't want to make any stupid mistakes. Where do most members run the leads to? I'm thinking of wire tieing it to the frame on the left side away from the exhaust and naturally,away from any moving parts. I know it's about as simple as it gets but are there any tips for a good install? Thanks in advance .
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I ran my lead down behind the left body plastic to the area of the helmet lock. I opened the lock and ran the lead thru and then back around and thru again. I then closed the lock.... it is out of the way, secure, safe, and totally accessable there and the cover plug can still be used. Works great that way for me.

excalibur
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Is it a Battery Tender Jr.? I find that anything else runs too much amperage into the battery causing premature failure.

I will just use a Battery Tender pigtail wired to the battery itself, then running it over to near my helmet lock. Good luck!
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes, anything more powerful than the BT Jr. will not do your battery any favors, and it is not a good idea to leave it connected for more than a few days. I put it on for 24 hours once a month in the winter Since I use the same pigtail with SAE plug to power my 12V cigarette outlet for the GPS, I routed it down to the right side, where the wires from the plug come out from under the gas tank. I have to pull the right side plastic to get to it, but since it is unusual to need it during riding season, in the winter I just leave the panel off and the SAE plug disconnected, with the GPS in the warm house where I can charge it once a month.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I routed my SAE leads down the frame on the left side stopping above the swing arm. I wired tied close to the connector so it doesn’t flop around but you can still pull it away to connect to it. The cover keeps all the dirt out.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

You need to unplug it when the battery is tender. If you over cook it you will need new battery.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    Is it a Battery Tender Jr.? I find that anything else runs too much amperage into the battery causing premature failure.

I will just use a Battery Tender pigtail wired to the battery itself, then running it over to near my helmet lock. Good luck!
    Yes it is a junior.I was kind of worried about whether the the little box near the positive terminal which I assume is a fuse holder will fit alright under the seat since it seems like it will have to lay on top of the battery. Is that what that is,a fuse holder? I didn't want to pop that cover in case you aren't supposed to.Thanks!

Thanks Tweaker!

Thanks Rocky!

Thanks Phelonius

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links