Need help from our Northern riders
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Need help from our Northern riders

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)

Need help from our Northern riders

Umm, yeah Iím a Georgia boy so Iím very very familiar with this:How the #}@$$& do you unfreeze a bike??? Iíd love to go ride in the snow because I never have but even after chipping the ice off the ignition lock so I could get the key in the lock is frozen. What sort of wicked torture is this? If I could start the bike the engine heat will unmelt it, but I canít start it! Not cool.
    Elvesus, elime, admiral and 2 others like this.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in Ď14 and rebuilt in Ď17. Ď06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, Ď04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Quote Originally Posted by maddawgj View Post
    Umm, yeah Iím a Georgia boy so Iím very very familiar with this:How the #}@$$& do you unfreeze a bike??? Iíd love to go ride in the snow because I never have but even after chipping the ice off the ignition lock so I could get the key in the lock is frozen. What sort of wicked torture is this? If I could start the bike the engine heat will unmelt it, but I canít start it! Not cool.
    Borrow a hair dryer or use a heat gun like the kind used for stripping paint. A bic or similar lighter stick will work as well. Heat the lock cylinder slowly AND heat the metal body of the key. Any of these ideas should work in 5 minutes or so.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

throwing a tarp over the bike would help avoid this kind of problem
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, parking outdoors... Never did it with any of my motorcycles.

But I think maybe throwing a tarp over it, AND, setting up a electric space heater under it too, make a heated tent to thaw the entire bike.

Just don't burn it down!!
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300 - Suspension modified for height
    2013 Yamaha TW200 (Sold but not forgotten, possibly in the future when space permits)
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (sold) Fun for a year, then mega garage DUST collector
    1985 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk (sold) FUN - but became a dust collector
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk (sold) Primary transportation for almost 5 years
    Various other 2 wheel rolling junk not worthy of mention....

There are aerosol sprays for frozen locks you can try. I keep a can in my car I use for skiing and it works.

BUT! make sure your drum brake isn't frozen. I've ridden through creeks, then later TRIED to apply the brakes only to find it was frozen and wouldn't work.
    The bear slayer!

Well, if you are very, very familiar with this, you would probably already know that unless you have a solid, but not melted and frozen base layer (could be dirt) with a few inches of light snow, it's pretty much like riding on ice....good luck getting more than ten feet before crashing. (Unless you have studded tires). Consider your frozen lock a blessing.
    maddawgj, bad luck, troll and 3 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

You parked your bike upside down and all the gas ran out of the gas tank and carburetor. Of course, you probably realize this predicament already and are asking for advice for the next step. If you spilled some whiskey on the ignition lock after taking a swig that might help. More practical ways are listed above but it just depends on how thirsty you are.

If you get it running and want to ride it in the snow, make sure to air down the tires. Helps but won't totally prevent a tip over plunging you into a roadside ditch. You don't want to end up in a roadside ditch.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Time for a shed!
    maddawgj, troll and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    throwing a tarp over the bike would help avoid this kind of problem
    Last time it snowed here was 1981 so needless to say this wasnít exactly expected or the type of thing we deal with here.
    2005 TW wrecked in Ď14 and rebuilt in Ď17. Ď06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, Ď04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Well, if you are very, very familiar with this, you would probably already know that unless you have a solid, but not melted and frozen base layer (could be dirt) with a few inches of light snow, it's pretty much like riding on ice....good luck getting more than ten feet before crashing. (Unless you have studded tires). Consider your frozen lock a blessing.
    Low speed falling is half the fun, if I wanted more than low speed tractor gearing Iíd be trying to get one of the other bikes unfrozen. Besides in these temps Iím wearing so many layers I can barely move let alone feel a 5 MPH fall.
    Dryden-Tdub and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links