Gearing help
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Gearing help

Gearing help

Hi Guys,
    I have a 2012 TW. Love and hate the bike. What drives me crazy about it is how short 1st gear is. I cant make 25 feet without shifting. I would like to prolong that with a gearing change. Procycle only offers a 15 tooth front to replace the stock 14. That does not seem like it would do much. Would a 44 0r 47 rear be a better swap? The bike is primarily street driven with a little off road when the opportunity arises. I would rather have longer road gearing them shorter off road gearing.

Any help?
    littletommy, Ken and admiral like this.

All kinds of threads about this, some with scientifical charts and rpm comparisons...likely find them near the bottom of the page in 'similar threads'.

Most go with a rear sprocket swap, just because it's easier to swap the rear than R&R'ing the whole side cover and gasket to do the front.
    I put a 45 on the back of mine, was a great swap...only noticed the higher 1st gear in really slow rough stuff. Was nice to make it all the way through an intersection without shifting. Still had lots of top end...my '15 would top out at about 115km/h with the 45.
    If you're not riding slow, rough, technical off-road, I'd absolutely throw a 45 on it. A 45 on the back of an otherwise stock set-up requires a 120-link chain. Someone said "There's no economy in buying a non-o-ring chain." (or something to that effect). I'm thrifty, but I agree 100%. I was adjusting the stock chain every couple rides. Put on an o-ringer with the 45 tooth-sprocket and never adjusted it once in a whole season of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by GCFishguy View Post
    All kinds of threads about this, some with scientifical charts and rpm comparisons...likely find them near the bottom of the page in 'similar threads'.

Most go with a rear sprocket swap, just because it's easier to swap the rear than R&R'ing the whole side cover and gasket to do the front.
    I put a 45 on the back of mine, was a great swap...only noticed the higher 1st gear in really slow rough stuff. Was nice to make it all the way through an intersection without shifting. Still had lots of top end...my '15 would top out at about 115km/h with the 45.
    If you're not riding slow, rough, technical off-road, I'd absolutely throw a 45 on it. A 45 on the back of an otherwise stock set-up requires a 120-link chain. Someone said "There's no economy in buying a non-o-ring chain." (or something to that effect). I'm thrifty, but I agree 100%. I was adjusting the stock chain every couple rides. Put on an o-ringer with the 45 tooth-sprocket and never adjusted it once in a whole season of riding.
    Thank you GC,
    I did not know about the similar thread feature. After reading all of those my head is kind of spinning. Gearing threads are as bad as oil threads Im going to look around and see if I can find a 45 and also replace my crap stock chain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by olderthendirt View Post
    Thank you GC,
    I did not know about the similar thread feature. After reading all of those my head is kind of spinning. Gearing threads are as bad as oil threads Im going to look around and see if I can find a 45 and also replace my crap stock chain.
    Kind of a GCFishguy clone comment but he's provided some good info. I'll just add another "in agreement" comment.

I'm mostly an off-pavement rider but a couple years back a forum member loaned me a 45T rear sprocket to try out. I road the TW to work a couple times with it. If was a more street oriented rider I would use at 45t or maybe even 47t. I did ride my TW on a local forest service road with the 45t and it did just fine but that's as far off-pavement as I would go with it. I liked it so much I have 44t waiting on the shelf if I'm gonna do more pavement.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Wisconsin is a bit flatter without the relief of Idaho so a 45t rear sprocket might be a good option. Much taller gearing and the TW might run out of enough oomph to get out of it's own way without slipping the clutch.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I put a 47t on mine for a while and found that I was shifting down a lot more and any wind I was in 4th. I went back to stock, but most likely the biggest issue is my weight.

Someone mention oil ? .......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Someone mention oil ? .......

No one mentioned oil.
    Cornelis likes this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    No one mentioned oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by olderthendirt View Post
    Thank you GC,
    See above in Red.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links