TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Strange "harmonic" while driving...

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Turtle Chaser 
#1 ·
OK, so I've replaced my stator coil, chain and sprockets and got her running again, but a new problem has reared its ugly head. From 30 to 40 mph, I get this awful resounding, resonant noise. Waaa.......waaa......waaa.........waaa. As if both wheels were out of round and since the speed limit is 30 thru town, it's a bit of a pain!

This does NOT affect my speed and does not appear to affect the engine. At first I thought it might be the chain seating-in, since it's brand new...but I don't recall this noise when I replaced the chain a year ago. The ONLY real difference is the REAR sprocket (47 tooth)...otherwise everything is the same as before I made repairs to the engine. I can't imagine the stator would have anything to do with it.

This "noise" only seems to appear in 4th gear, between 30 and 40 mph. I cannot reproduce it in any other gear or at any other speed range, and it doesn't seem to be related to the RPM's either.

Any ideas? This one has me stumped worse than any other problem I've had so far. If need be, I'll gladly go back to the 50 tooth rear...just to rid myself of this racket!

See less See more
#2 ·
Try riding with a different helmet, preferably a shorty (ears exposed). See how it sounds then. Maybe it will be easier to pinpoint. Keep us posted.

#4 ·
Hey fellow B.C.er, good to hear from someone close by. I too recently did the rear sprocket change and upgrade to a DID Oring chain, but for me my bike got alot smoother and quieter on the road. How many miles on your TW? and what shape is your front sprocket in? Worn teeth will "hang" onto the chain and make it slap as it comes off each tooth, cause a harmonics though out the bike. Try running different tensions on your chain and see what happens to the noise. Another thing to do is check for loose stuff, like skid plate, fender mounts, racks, etc. Harmonics can make it hard to pin point the sorce of the problem so make small adjustments and moves so you can isolate its sorce. My bike developed a small noise and was rpm related, turned out to be needing a valve set and all is well now. Keep us posted on your progress and what changes you make. With the help of guys on the forum I am sure she will ride smooth once again.

#5 ·
Well, this is why it is so puzzling!

I have changed sprockets and chains before and had no problem...maybe it is this combination of sprockets that is the issue? The front and rear sprockets are BRAND NEW, as is the chain. And while I have heard that the O-ring chains can take a while to "set in" I have not had this problem when I changed it out last time.

This is more of an engine noise...as if it is surging, although the speed doesn't change. It sounds as though I am revving the engine up and down...a real puzzler!

She is a 2001 and has just over 32000km.

I'm going to change back to the 50 tooth rear, and see if the problem goes away, because that is the ONLY difference in the setup.

#6 ·
Last night I adjusted my chain a notch tighter and then on my ride home tonight I notice a similar surging and a slow wah...wah... and it worried me. I noticed it mostly on decel below 30. I tried applying just rear brake to see if it went away and nothing. As I was slowing down I was downshifting and it happened in all gears. Not sure if yours is the same problem but I noticed when I got home that with the bike in neutral and pushing it there is a weird clicking noise coming from the front sprocket/tranny/engine area. Was in a hurry so didnt tear into anything yet. I'm wondering if my front sprocket is loose or worn out. (I have a 47 tooth rear and a stock front with a stock chain on my 2001 with 5700 miles)

Are you sure you got your front sprocket on right and tight?

#7 ·
Hallelujah...It is gone!

Out of frustration/boredom, I decided to exchange the rear sprocket for the 50 tooth OEM type, while I was replacing the rear brake shoes.

A quick test-drive confirmed that the surging sound and harmonic is GONE!

It must be something about the 47 tooth, or the number of links or a combination of all of these that created this noise. Whatever...I'm glad it's gone!

I guess that sometimes it's better NOT to mess with engineered perfection!

#10 ·
Were you usiing the same chain with the new 47 tooth sprocket? If so, it was most likely not seating in the valleys of the teeth. A chain and sprockets "mate" with use and is the reason they suggest changing both sprockets with a new chain. You can sometimes ruin new sprockets with an old chain.
It's especially easy to do with alloy sprockets.

#12 ·
You might try 15 / 50, it is an awesome combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.