• 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By rbm
  • 2 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 2 Post By Stufidmotard
  • 3 Post By mrlmd

Thread: Key code locations on 1988 Tw200

Key code locations on 1988 Tw200

Hey everyone! I've been scouring various forums for weeks now and have been unsuccessful in my quest, so here I am.

A couple years ago while working in a customers house I came across an immaculate 88 tw200. After a bit of persuading I convinced the original owner, who was a 90 year old man, to sell it to me for $500.00. It had been stored in a garage here in northern ca and only had 200 miles on it. Brought it home, changed all fluids and it fired right up after sitting since 1991.

Fast forward to now. I lost the key. Called Yamaha, no help. Pulled the ignition lock, only code I can find anywhere on any piece of the ignition lock is YH39. I completely disassembled the ignition and looked at it with a magnifying glass. No codes.

I read that it would be on the back of the helmet lock, so I pulled that today. All I can find on that lock is 709 stamped into the corner of the back piece, an YM81 on the back of the lock cylinder.

I even tried a few local locksmiths and no-one had any ideas.

I'm so frustrated I want to ride my bike! I don't want to have to buy a whole new set of locks if I can avoid it, especially since the bike is 100 percent original down to the tires.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    littletommy and maddawgj like this.

Welcome to the forum!!

Can't you take the ignition or helmet lock to a locksmith and have them make a key or just take out the tumblers?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!

Can't you take the ignition or helmet lock to a locksmith and have them make a key or just take out the tumblers?

I've tried 3 local locksmiths and also a few mobile ones...nobody wants to touch it I also can't open the gas tank which is a bummer
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Brian, and welcome to the forum!

I am so sorry to hear about your problems locating a key for your TW. Unfortunately, there is no solution. However, I am also in Northern California and would be willing to come by and pick up your bike and take this off your hands for no charge so you won't have to deal with getting rid of it. How about it - deal?

I am just kidding you !

Here's the good news, you have scored a great deal on a sweet looking TW. The maybe not so good news is, your bike is actually a 1987 model year (which may have been manufactured or titled in 1988). The 1987 model is the first year for TW's and has a unique electrical system that may, or may not, be more problematic than the newer models. But we can get to that later after we help you to get it running.

Here are a couple of options:

-Fellow member Elime (real name is Tony) is one of a large group of TW Forum members lovingly referred to as the NorCal Nutjobs. He has two very well tuned 1987's. You could reach out to him so he can fill you in on a secret method to get your bike running without needing a key.

-I believe that the ignition lockset is the same for all years. Since you have already had this apart, you could swap in another one that has a key for it.

-I also have a 1987 parts bike that I have had running that has an ignition switch that can be turned with a screwdriver. I could send that to you if want.

My suggestion would be to contact Tony and see if he can help you to get your bike started first, then you can deal with a more permanent solution for your missing key.

Brian

p.s. oops, I just remembered about the locking gas cap
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 01-13-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: fixed typos

I think a Yamaha dealer or "good locksmith shop" can take the VIN number, go online and look up the right key code to fix it for you. You will most likely need your registration, identification and of course the VIN number.
    Leisure Time Larry likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

rbm
    ^^Or a dealer...
    littletommy likes this.

This thread has useful info, including the red plug disconnect. If all other options are exhausted, pop the gas cap with a screwdriver (likely destroying the lock mechanism) and replace with a cap that doesn’t lock. Cheers

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...st-keys-2.html
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!

A real locksmith can do it that way, but those guys are hard to find.
    littletommy and maddawgj like this.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Any chance you got the owners manual with bike? Most dealers wrote the key code in it (there’s a space for it) and there are locksmiths that can cut you a key just from the key code.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    I needed a key made for a 2000 and called the local Yamaha dealer and even with the serial number of the bike they were totally unable to help me. But the first local locksmith I went to turned on his computer, looked up the code, and within 5 min I had two new keys.

Sponosred Links