Speedometer
Close

Thread: Speedometer

Hi...first post. Not a TW owner yet but have been looking and ready to buy. I have looked at several "low mile" ones that seem like they have had a lot more use than the mileage shown. Is their a way to tell if the speedo has been disconnected at any time to "save miles"? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
    Hi...first post. Not a TW owner yet but have been looking and ready to buy. I have looked at several "low mile" ones that seem like they have had a lot more use than the mileage shown. Is their a way to tell if the speedo has been disconnected at any time to "save miles"? Thanks!

There is no possible way to tell. The speedometer cable is easily unscrewed from the speedometer and they could've just left it dangling there for years without any miles adding up.

So, you'll never know. If you're real worried, I'd do a compression test to make sure the engine is still making good power.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

The TW seems to attract older folks that are looking for a first bike, something for the Wife or just a set of wheels to put on the back of a motorhome. In short, they frequently don't get alot of use. When they hit the 'used' market a younger rider may pick it up, ride it hard for a short time and realize it is not a very good 'moto-cross' bike and back up for sale it goes, still, as a low miles machine. My thoughts ....... Gerry

T
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

compression test is a good way to know if something is worth your time. if you dont have access to a compression tester, just pulling the plug and inspecting it can save you time and money.

and when someone says "all these old yamahas just run better with the choke on!" while they are continually rapping the throttle keeping the rpms up it's probably not worth your time/money unless you WANT a project bike.
    '01 TW200: Tusk D-Flex Handguards w/ Spoilers, Pro Taper Grips, LEDs in Idiot Lights, Headlight Rockguard, Stearns Seat Pad, Oversized Footpegs and a Loud Ass Horn -SOLD
    '91 TW200: Bone Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post

I haven't looked at the TW speedo but on some bikes they use some goop that is blue, yellow, etc between the cable and speedo threads if broken it means the cable has been loosened but I have never looked at the TW speedo head closely-my guess is that Yamaha does not do that.

I think there are many better ways to inspect a bike to determine condition ---- and as Gerry suggests the types of people who own TWs--- and when you go to their house and see how they maintain the other things they own it sort of gives you a clue on how they treated the TW.

Good Luck

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Sponosred Links