Need advice on clutch behavior!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Love this forum and looking for some advice. I have two 2008 models. We also have an 02 and 03 in the family (my older boys use them at college instead of scooters). They were recently purchased used and I have serviced them all, oil change, oil filter, plugs, air filters, new carb float valve o-ring on one, etc. Thanks to all here sharing their experiences so I could easily learn how to service them. My question? When starting in 1st gear with clutch in, a couple of the bikes will surge a little forward. Does not happen in neutral. Is this normal? Is this a sign the clutch needs to be replaced? I tried to adjust it out with the clutch cable, but this had no effect other than gear engagement point on the lever. I have fresh Castrol 10-40 Full Synthetic 4T in them (will use Mobil 1 next time as I have learned in several posts). Any advice most appreciated. Thanks -Don

I had the same problem with my 2003, but only on the first ride of the day. I asked the Yamaha tech at the dealership and he had no answer. His comment to me was that not much adjustment can be made on the clutch. He said the TW200 just shifts that way sometimes. I never experienced that until this year. My bike only has 1600 miles, has been regularly serviced.

It should only happen when you first start it up for the day. With a wet clutch the cool oil between the plates will cause them to stick together. This is normal and nothing to worry about. If for some reason it happens more than that, you may have a problem.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mine does this as well. I don't think it is anything to worry about as most motorcycles I have ridden have done this.

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Absolutely normal. Usually happens only after it sits for quite a while, like over night. When I first start for the day, I always pull in the clutch and rock the bike back and forth a few times to 'break' the clutch free - you'll find that the bike won't really move at all at first, like you didn't even have the clutch lever pulled in. This way, there is little or no "jump" when you do put the bike in gear, easier on the whole bike. That means too that it's a very good idea with the T-Dub to always do a first start of the day in neutral as it's hard on the clutch and the starter to start cold when in gear, even with the clutch lever pulled in.

I don't think I've ever owned a bike that didn't do that. A little "bump" is normal. Now if it's pushing the bike through the closed garage door, that's not normal.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Quote Originally Posted by Flingwing View Post
    Absolutely normal. Usually happens only after it sits for quite a while, like over night. When I first start for the day, I always pull in the clutch and rock the bike back and forth a few times to 'break' the clutch free - you'll find that the bike won't really move at all at first, like you didn't even have the clutch lever pulled in. This way, there is little or no "jump" when you do put the bike in gear, easier on the whole bike. That means too that it's a very good idea with the T-Dub to always do a first start of the day in neutral as it's hard on the clutch and the starter to start cold when in gear, even with the clutch lever pulled in.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and feel at ease knowing it is normal! Not ready to tackle clutch replacement with my current tool set and knowledge. Yes, I believe it only happens the first start of the day and will be sure to watch out for it. I never really noticed until my boys pointed it out and asked me. They were recently trained at the motorcycle endorsement class here in Florida to start in 1st gear, clutch in. Dad's old habit of neutral starts is why I never noticed. Again thanks. -Don

Hum...mine does the exact same thing. Wonder if its normal when i let the clutch out when im parked thinking im in neutral but really in first and kill it. Haha....i think its time to get new indicator bulbs for my instrument cluster. I have the turn signal, high beam, and neutral lights burnt out.
    2008 TDUB

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their replies and feel at ease knowing it is normal! Not ready to tackle clutch replacement with my current tool set and knowledge. Yes, I believe it only happens the first start of the day and will be sure to watch out for it. I never really noticed until my boys pointed it out and asked me. They were recently trained at the motorcycle endorsement class here in Florida to start in 1st gear, clutch in. Dad's old habit of neutral starts is why I never noticed. Again thanks. -Don

You might want to review the training handbook with your boys. Here is the start procedure phumonic directly from the MSF Basic Rider Handbook:

. . . and what it means, all on Page 19.

My clutch started feeling real funny. As it turned out, I needed to adjust my chain. It felt just like a clutch problem. Also Amsoil seems to smooth it out for me.
    Rusty

2005 TW200

2005 Triumph Bonneville T100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links