Grease in Magneto (?)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey Thanks again for everyones help on here. I got all the parts needed to replace my sprockets, chain and tires. After get the front sprocket changed out. I started cleaning everything up before reassembly . Not sure what the part is called but the round housing that the magneto goes inside (looks like an electric motor with out any housing) the housing it sets into was coated with a black stick substance inside. I looked in the manual and did not find it listed as a grease point. Is this stuff just grime? Also.... The sunstar 50t rear sprocket I received is not flat it's indented in the center. Is this something I need to be concerned with (it not being inline with the front)? Thank you for your time. Mark

Oil in Magneto Case thread http://tw200forum.co...n-magneto-case/

Mark the only issue with the sprocket is that now your stock bolts will not tighten down completely without you adding a couple of washers, or cutting new threads into the shoulder of the stock bolt. For me, this was not a deal breaker. The first time around, I added washers, it worked fine and I was happy. The second time when I went to duel sprockets, I replaced the stock bolts & washers with longer SAE grade 8 bolts 5/16ths or 3/8ths (can't remember). Take care, Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mr. Gizmow made a great point on the bolts. Make sure they tighten down fully. Also, I've read on this forum (and I do it too) that the indentation goes towards the wheel (at least thats how it is with JT sprockets).
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Thank for the reply. I now know it is supposed to be wet. But there was some black greasy really sticky stuff lining the houseing the woud motor goes in. I cleaned it spotless jst wanted to make sure it dos not need some kind of speacil grease in there. I a guessing it was just gunk built up from the miles of riding. Mark

I think the bolts will work but I am concerned about the alinment. This sprocket is offset. Here are some pictures. I says it fit a 2009 TW200. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    Mark the only issue with the sprocket is that now your stock bolts will not tighten down completely without you adding a couple of washers, or cutting new threads into the shoulder of the stock bolt. For me, this was not a deal breaker. The first time around, I added washers, it worked fine and I was happy. The second time when I went to duel sprockets, I replaced the stock bolts & washers with longer SAE grade 8 bolts 5/16ths or 3/8ths (can't remember). Take care, Gerry

That's interesting, I've never seen a TW sprocket in that configuration. Before you go to mount it on your wheel, just double check it with your chain to make sure it is the right size/spacing. My guess is that it would be best to mount the outside of the dished area (the top surface of the sprocket in the picture below) towards the wheel.

By the way, what brand sprocket is this? This dished configuration could actually be beneficial to those of us running dual rear sprockets.

Quote Originally Posted by msmiller View Post

Quote Originally Posted by msmiller View Post
    Thank for the reply. I now know it is supposed to be wet. But there was some black greasy really sticky stuff lining the houseing the woud motor goes in. I cleaned it spotless jst wanted to make sure it dos not need some kind of speacil grease in there. I a guessing it was just gunk built up from the miles of riding. Mark

No special grease used in the housing. Like you said, must have been junk (old oil/dirt) in the housing.

I'm baffled by the sprocket too. I've never seen one so offset before.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    That's interesting, I've never seen a TW sprocket in that configuration. Before you go to mount it on your wheel, just double check it with your chain to make sure it is the right size/spacing. My guess is that it would be best to mount the outside of the dished area (the top surface of the sprocket in the picture below) towards the wheel.

By the way, what brand sprocket is this? This dished configuration could actually be beneficial to those of us running dual rear sprockets.

IT IS A SUNSTAR HERE IS WHAT I ORDERED Sunstar 428 50T from oemcycle

The image on the website is not actual but it says it is a 428 50T. The new did oring chain fits the holes match even the thickness of the metal is the same, but the new one is offset. I plan to bolt it on tomorrow I might try it without the crankcase cover just to see how things line up. The only marking on the new sprocket is Sunstar logo and the numbers 2104 with the number 50 under it.

You should be fine. Don't worry too much about a little misalignment. The picture below illustrates the dual sprocket setup that I have been running without any problems. The offset on your new sprocket is surely less than what I have between my two sprockets. I recently added an o-ring chain and had to space the sprockets even further apart so that the chain guard no longer fits and I had to take it off.

Thanks for the Sunstar info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links