Starter problems (w/ video)
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I apologize if this problem has been focused on before, but I haven't been able to find a recent one. I'll try to give as much details as possible but I'm pretty new to this forum and riding in general.

HERE IS A VIDEO TO HELP ASSESS THE PROBLEM: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaOCb6NtCzs>

PROBLEM: After testing out the bike and such with success, the bike was unable to start back up when I brought it back home. When I tried to start it the first few times, it cranked but the engine didn't turn, after which about 3 seconds later the bike would make a light grinding noise (shown on the video). Now, all it wants to do on start up is make that same grinding noise! What could it be?

I got the bike yesterday used, only 4,000 miles. Only thing wrong with it was the battery wasn't charged. They charged it and it started fine. As you can see on the video, the headlights work fine (so does the horn) so I don't think it's the battery, but what do I know. I pulled the choke to start the engine on the video (since the engine is now cold) and nothing. Also, it had been running on the reserve gas since I didn't change the fuel cock to "ON" since I was oblivious to it until today. I changed it to "ON". The tank still has a bit of gas left, so it couldn't be that?

Any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks guys and hope to hear from you soon.
    2009 TW200, first time rider!

Since the battery wasn't charged I assume the bike had been setting for some time.

I would suggest disconnectng the battery and cleaning the terminals. Let it disconnected and follow the

large wire from the "+" terminal and clean and tighten all connections including the one at the starter.

Check and clean the small wire's connectors at the starter relay. It will be the thing with the two fuses.

One is a spare.

Then clean and tighten the "-" ones also.

Keep us posted.

I took the battery out but nothing out of the ordinary. The terminals weren't dirty or corrosive. All the plugs seem to be properly in place. I did notice, however, that the electrolyte level on the battery might by low. I looked in the 2009 TW200 manual and it said that the electrolyte level must be between the two marks __upper level and ___lower level. I assume the black stuff inside the battery is the electrolyte?

Could it be I just need to replace the battery? Would the battery even be responsible for making that grinding "eeeeeee" noise upon startup?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a dead battery to me. I'd fill up your battery with distilled water, fully charge it, and see if it works. The battery may be toast though.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaOCb6NtCzs[/media]
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

The "black stuff" inside is the electrolyte and it is not black.

You have to refill your battery with distilled water. Do NOT USE "normal" bottled water or mains water, there are too much minerals in it.

You should get distilled water in every good sorted super market.

The electrolyte is sulfuric acid (37-38%).

The contained water evaporates (sulfuric acid percentage rises) and you have to refill it with distilled water. You have to check every year the water level.

I recognize that sound! Rainman hit the nail on the head! Electrolyte (distilled water), clean connections if necessary, charge. If no-go = new battery.

It's always possible there is a charging problem, but you won't know that until the battery situation is shored up.

Good luck
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sounds like i've got a good batch of support for a new battery. I'm tempted to fill it with distilled water and charging it, but i'm afraid the battery might be too far gone. I'm going to go buy a new one (retailers say they don't have the YB7C-A model batteries, but will match it). I'll install the new one and see how it cranks, get back to you guys soon!

Boy you all get up early. Good luck with the battery.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Remember to hook up the drain line and make sure it is routed properly. In the future, consider a gel battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links