what are the two openings under the bowl?
Close

Hello, just picked up a 91 TW. It appears someone tried to tinker with it before I got it. I figured out most of the hoses near the carb. But under the carb bowl, there are two openings. One has a screw to restrict flow(i think). What is the other for(gas flows from here when i turn the petcock to on)? Should there be two hoses for the two holes? If so, where does it connect to? Thanks

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Hello, just picked up a 91 TW. It appears someone tried to tinker with it before I got it. I figured out most of the hoses near the carb. But under the carb bowl, there are two openings. One has a screw to restrict flow(i think). What is the other for(gas flows from here when i turn the petcock to on)? Should there be two hoses for the two holes? If so, where does it connect to? Thanks

Roger

The rearmost one is the float bowl drain. If gas is coming out of here, the drain setscrew is backed out (the little Phillips head brass screw on the left side of the carb).

The more forward one is the float bowl overflow (It has a slightly larger nipple). If gas is coming out of here, your float is stuck open.

Both of these get short hoses routed to beneath the swingarm.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post

Roger

One is your pilot mixture screw (the one you say restricts fuel)screw this one in all the way gently, and then back out approx. 2 1/2 turns, the other is carb drain screw, tighten that one up to stop fuel leaking when you turn on the petrol tap.

There is plenty of experience on this forum for tuning carbs.

EDIT. I may have contradicted lizrdbrth here as we posted at the same time, but it will be one or the other. Can you post a picture?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

thank you both for the quick advice. I will try to take a picture, to clarify. but the float being stuck is a definitely suspect. you guys rock!

lizrdbrth's answer sounds more plausible . I have never seen gas run out of pilot adjusting hole , but the float over flow and carb bowl drains will leak fuel under the conditions mentioned by lizrdbrth's post. I had my early type [1999]TW carb apart yesterday to re-jet and add an extra washer to the needle. it now starts very easy in the morning, noon and night and warm up time is nearly Zero now. it starts and rides away smoothly now in about 10 seconds, where it used to take 2 minutes to warm up. [ #118 main jet and small washer inserted to raise the needle .]

Sponosred Links