rear axle won't come out.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,I'm having trouble removing the rear wheel axle. (91 TW200) It will rotate but not slide out. I soaked it several times with pb blaster, heated it up and pounding on the end with a 2 lb hammer and it still won't budge. I'm thinking the axle is rusted solid on to the right hand wheel. I may have to bring it to a shop to put a cutting torch to it. Anyone have any ideas? Scott.

Do you have the tire in the air? Can you move the tire at all? That may tell you where it is stuck.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

You know what they say....if all else fails, get a bigger hammer! Hmmm, that's interesting. It turns but won't come out. If the axle turns it can't be stuck to the brake backing plate because that is held in place by the swingarm. Other than that it's just through each of the two bearings, then the spacers on each side. Do the spacers turn with the axle? If so, I bet the axle is bound in one or both of them. Soak them with PB, try holding them in place with vice grips and twist the axle to break loose. In a recent thread on penetrants the point was made that sometimes it just takes a little time for the penetrant to do it's job. PB is good stuff, but some say ATF and acetone works real well, too. Good luck.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It looks like the right hand spacer is stuck to the axle as it turns with it. Ive tried using visegrips on it while turning the axle but can't get a good enough grip on it. I've pounded the axle to the point the threaded end is mushroomed. Thankfully i picked up another axle for cheap money on ebay just in case. I have an appt to bring the beast down to a garage down the road to see what he can do. Thanks for the replies.

Good luck. Let us know what they have to do to get it out.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

this thread is a good reminder to... even if you dont need a new tire, to pull your axles once a year, clean em up and re-grease the buggers to prevent this.
    Those who forge their swords into plows, will plow for those who do not.

The mechanic had to cut through the axle on the right side to remove it. The inner axle spacer "is one" with the axle right now. Inspection of the brake hub shows one of the brake shoe springs broke off and one shoe had a big chunk missing on the end. I see a whole hub assy with decent shoes on ebay right now for $30 shipped so I may go that route. I'm still at the evaluation stage on this bike to see what I'd have into it to get it safely ridable. So far it needs brake pads, swing arm bushings, fork seals and wheel bearings. Oh, and I still trying to find a econmical tank replacement. Thanks for the help. Scott BTW, the mechanic told me a customer saw him working on the bike and told him he'd buy it for $350 on the spot. Got me thinking how much I may have to spend and what I'd get out of it in the end.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...045E0BCB42.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...04641A0EA4.jpg

Here she is in all her unwashed glory.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...en/tw200_4.jpg

Looks like she was sitting out in the weather for a bit.

I'm guessing once you get her running good you'll enjoy that bike enough you won't want to sell it for five times that offer.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

That thing looks like it was poorly cared for. How hard would it have been for the owner to throw a tarp over it for the obvious years it sat out in the elements. Poor little fella.... makes me sad If you enjoy making a bike your own and wrenching then looks like a fun project as long as you didn't pay more than $200 for it. If you don't enjoy this type of work then sell it and wait for a cleaner bike to come around for a decent price.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

The mechanic spent an hr total on it for $50. Not sure about selling I've never ridden one and the looks are appealing to me. My current xl250 has more travel and seat height and not sure if id be downgrading or not. I don't think I'd be throwing money away on it as I do all the work myself. The motor is solid with compression being 135 cold. I do like the e start. My biggest concern is a replacement tank cost. The other parts will run around $160. Too bad I don't live down south. It looks like you can buy these all day long for 6-700 dollars in good condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links