Preparations for Kick w/non-kick case? Bushing, sleeve, clearance???
Close

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By rbm
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 4 Post By CJ7Pilot
  • 2 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By old white truck

Thread: Preparations for Kick w/non-kick case? Bushing, sleeve, clearance???

Preparations for Kick w/non-kick case? Bushing, sleeve, clearance???

Getting a kick in my bike, and wondered if cases with a kick and without, the 01 and newer are identical?

Guy at Dealership said grinding or modifying the case is necessary... even though nobody ever mentioned clearance issue on their installs here... were some bikes this way?

Also, more importantly, is there anything inside the case on a bike with factory kick like a bushing or sleeve where the shaft goes into the case? It looks like the shaft will just be going directly into the aluminum case on my late model (non factory kick) TW... actually assembly is in position already without side cover on yet and it seems "wiggly". Is re-install of the case what keeps it all together, OR am I missed some thing on shaft end or case hole. I guess it just seems weird that the steel shaft will just but twisting inside that aluminum with no bushing or support.

Thanks for the help in advance

Couple of old threads here that might answer your questions. I am interested too...

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...ghts-tips.html

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...ictures-2.html

Sorry I re-read both of these posts and did not really see a reference to your question but still good info so I will leave them here...
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 01-26-2018 at 08:21 PM.

rbm
    IIRC, when I installed the kicker on mine there was a plug that was removed and replaced with a seal for the shaft.
    Gulfrider and maddawgj like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    IIRC, when I installed the kicker on mine there was a plug that was removed and replaced with a seal for the shaft.
    Correct, that was the easy part.

Hi T-Dub-Luv,

See my responses in
    Red.

"Getting a kick in my bike, and wondered if cases with a kick and without, the 01 and newer are identical?
    Yes, unless Yamaha has changed something in the last few model years and nobody has yet reported it on this forum.

Guy at Dealership said grinding or modifying the case is necessary... even though nobody ever mentioned clearance issue on their installs here... were some bikes this way? If you are using the stock TW engine cases and right engine side cover, there is no grinding or case modification required.

Also, more importantly, is there anything inside the case on a bike with factory kick like a bushing or sleeve where the shaft goes into the case? It looks like the shaft will just be going directly into the aluminum case on my late model (non factory kick) TW... actually assembly is in position already without side cover on yet and it seems "wiggly". Is re-install of the case what keeps it all together, OR am I missed some thing on shaft end or case hole. I guess it just seems weird that the steel shaft will just but twisting inside that aluminum with no bushing or support. The inboard end of the kickstarter shaft fits into a machined hole in the right side of the crankcase and the outboard end fits through the right side cover through an oil seal. This is adequate support for the loads that this shaft sees.

Thanks for the help in advance"

I hope this helps,

Brian
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 01-27-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Corrected color callout

Blue, or red? Maybe we've got to "go advanced" for custom colors as well as photos....
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    E0200F4B-8F85-4D28-A4F5-A52F638A8AA7.jpeg6B931130-32BF-4E8D-B624-9B42537E072C.jpeg
    Before and after the kick shaft installed

0B0C8F3D-060E-434D-A473-9125A7C16C11.jpeg
    Stick a socket extension in and tap with a hammer and the plug comes out of the case. That’s the only thing you need to do to the case.

I’ll try to finally get my kick install post done tonight. Will post a link when I do.

ETA: For some reason the pics are upside down so either stand on your head or turn your monitor upside down.
    Last edited by maddawgj; 01-27-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Pic issue
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Quote Originally Posted by CJ7Pilot View Post
    Blue, or red? Maybe we've got to "go advanced" for custom colors as well as photos....
    Hahaha, good catch! I fixed it.

The hard part is scraping off the old case gasket.

Sponosred Links