Battery/charging system
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have one of the new fangled batteries, a Ballistic. So the other day, I stopped the bike in camp and went to check on a friend who fell off his bike and got hurt. I left the key on, and the battery was drained completely. I had to push start it, then I rode it for a while. Still wouldn't crank. So I rode it for 45 minutes, and still won't crank. With the battery installed and engine and key off, it reads 9.9 volts. Running, it reads 10.8 volts. There are a lot of threads here on charging, but I am still confused. Is the battery low because of the low voltage on the charging system, or is the charging system limited by a toasted battery? Can you check the output of the charging system separate from the battery? Not sure how to do that. It is a 2009. Thanks for any help.

You're sure to get lots of help on this one Swimmer. Initially, I would guess, the TW charging system is not robust enough to get a 'really dead' battery up to starting an engine in 45 minutes. When riding off-road, you are generally going slower than when on pavement. As well, the newer (yours) TW's are set-up to run with lights on all the time. My guess is; low speed, lights on = little charge. Lets see what the experts have to say. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

I'm no expert but 10.8v running is too low. It should be 13-14v running and 12v when off. I would remove the battery, fill it with distilled water (if it is that type of battery, not sure what a Ballistic is) and put it on a trickle charger over night. Clean all of the battery terminals, especially the ground, a lot of time the corrosion is in the wires themselves not just the terminal ends. Once the battery is properly charge put it back in the bike and check it. After that you should have a better idea if it is indeed a bad battery or the charging system. I'm going to take a WAG and predict a bad battery. But I would check everything first before buying a new one. We have a battery specialty shop in town and you can take a battery there and they hook it up to a tester and can tell you all about it in detail if you'd rather have an expert look at it. They usually don't charge for the diagnostic. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
    I have one of the new fangled batteries, a Ballistic. So the other day, I stopped the bike in camp and went to check on a friend who fell off his bike and got hurt. I left the key on, and the battery was drained completely. I had to push start it, then I rode it for a while. Still wouldn't crank. So I rode it for 45 minutes, and still won't crank. With the battery installed and engine and key off, it reads 9.9 volts. Running, it reads 10.8 volts. There are a lot of threads here on charging, but I am still confused. Is the battery low because of the low voltage on the charging system, or is the charging system limited by a toasted battery? Can you check the output of the charging system separate from the battery? Not sure how to do that. It is a 2009. Thanks for any help.

n2o2diver beat me to it. I would guess that with a 9.9v reading, that your battery is fully dead. Generally, anything less than 12.1 is considered dead. But if you can avail yourself of the sophisticated diagnistics, then you might be able to avoid buying a new one unnecessarily.

What happens if I discharge my Ballistic Performance Components Battery?

.... If for some reason you discharge your Ballistic Performance Components Battery the best thing to do is to recharge it as soon as possible. You should not allow the battery to discharge below 9.0Volts, as this can damage the cells. If the battery is drained below 6.0Volts then the battery is considered to be discharged beyond its capacity and it should be discarded according to local land fill regulations.

From the Ballistic Battery website FAQ's. Looks like you came close.

They also say there's a 3 year warranty. Hope you don't need to see if it's true.

See charging instructions.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/tech/faq.php#2

They claim 45 minutes to recharge it at 14 volts, 2 amps.

A local shop that sells the Ballistic batteries has had to replace a couple of defective ones.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    [i]

A local shop that sells the Ballistic batteries has had to replace a couple of defective ones.

Jb

Hey JB thanks for posting that. I didn't realize "Ballistic" was a type/brand of battery, didn't even occur to me. I thought he was going to shoot it or something.

This is why this Forum ROCKS! We all get to learn something.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I'm not sure a trickle charger would bring that battery back from the brink of death overnight. I'm pretty sure mine wouldn't. As long as a couple days may be needed on a trickle charger, not sure.

So I've been studying solar a little and I learned something about 12 volt batteries. They're not really 12 volt -- closer to 14v. I know an automotive system is different, but in the deep cycle world, 12.2 volts is half discharged and that is the magical point beyond which they should no longer be discharged. Interstate recommends charging to 14.8 volts on some of their batteries. A bit off topic, but I found it interesting.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    What happens if I discharge my Ballistic Performance Components Battery?

.... If for some reason you discharge your Ballistic Performance Components Battery the best thing to do is to recharge it as soon as possible. You should not allow the battery to discharge below 9.0Volts, as this can damage the cells. If the battery is drained below 6.0Volts then the battery is considered to be discharged beyond its capacity and it should be discarded according to local land fill regulations.

From the Ballistic Battery website FAQ's. Looks like you came close.

They also say there's a 3 year warranty. Hope you don't need to see it's true.

Jb

Update: I did check their website and got those instructions, and also have contacted them regarding the problem. They are the ones that suggested I check my charging system and/or charge it off the bike. So I did charge it, and it was over 13 volts, but dropped back down to 10 when I tried to start the bike. So I guess the battery is dead and I will see if they warranty it. Expensive little bugger, and I mean little. You could fit it in a loose front pocket. They wanted to know the charging voltage, but it appears to be drawn down by the dead battery. My experience with solar panels and batteries, although the standard lead acid, was that the charging system (panels) will charge at the voltage the batteries are at. I just wasn't sure if it was the same thing on a bike with a lithium battery.

I was in the battery business ancillary to my main business for many years. Your standard lead acid battery, still the main stay of the battery world has much to recommend it. The problem with what we would call exotico batteries, regardless of the technology, is it has specific charge / dischage guidlines typically more stringent than lead acid. Hit a lead acid with intermittent too high of a charge voltage, you will maybe just boil off water that can be replaced. Gelled lead/acid, mat batteries, exotic chemistry you likely will fry them.

There are places for exotic chemistry batteries, a TW200 is not the place. Motorcycle batteries in general do not seem to last a long time. Exotic chemistry batteries seem to last even less. rw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links