chain lub
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: chain lub

chain lub

i am about to change my chain lub from wax to silicon. after recommendations from a group member, i started to look at Dupont's Chain Saver. has anyone else used this product? here is an article i came across, i didn't write it

""NEWS FLASH!!! DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver gets slammed by Motorcycle Consumer News...
    Appologies for creating a separate thread for this, in addition to the chain lube thread, but I feel it is important enough to not bury in an "unexciting" thread which might get passed over.

I use to use the old DuPont with Teflon (non-wax) in the yellow can, and others had good results with the old Teflon Multi-use in the blue can/bottle, but both are now discontinued. Running low on my old supply, and leaving on what turned out to be a 4,700 mile trip, I wanted to start the trip with a new can of lube, so I picked up a can of what DuPont replaced both previous lubes with: the new DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver "self-cleaning" wax-type lube in the yellow can.

On my trip, I lubed the chain every day (250-400 miles) but even on short days with no rain, the chain always seemed dry and lacking any lube by the end of the day. Upon return 4,700 miles later, the chain had mucho-slacko, and had kinks all over, even though the chain had only needed (barely) adjustment two times in the previous 14,000 miles.

Today in my mailbox arrived the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (July), in which their reviewer stated in no uncertain terms his discontent with DuPont's successor to their previous excellent chain lubes. I wish it had arrived before I left on my trip, because the reviewer stated basically everything I just related I experienced using the new stuff. Folks, the new DuPont chain lubes are not what they used to be, and by a huge margin. MCN summed up their article on the new lube with the following: "... we can't recommend it, and you'd better not find our recommendation on it's packaging." Them's about the harshest words I've seen them use, and that coming from a magazine that accepts no advertising dollars, so has no axe to grind. Buyer beware.""
    Last edited by grewen; 01-28-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Me too, am disappointed after buying what I thought was the latest and best.
    Ken, littletommy and Tweaker like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Well, it seems I still have one can of the old stuff, which has been great for the last 5 years. I'll have to see if this information is correct. If so, the search for the perfect chain lube continues.
    BTW, that article is from June 2013. I know the Chain Saver I have been using is newer than that. Chicken Little? Maybe.

EDIT: After checking, it seems the current product is the same as what I have been using happily for the last five years. I'm going to keep using it. It's true that it doesn't last that long, but it only takes two minutes to re-apply with a crutch jack. I put it on about every 150 miles. So far the sky hasn't fallen.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 01-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    grewen, Ken, littletommy and 1 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

i don't know what artical it was from. it popped up when i googled reviews on the Dupont. it was from another forum. so now i'm thinking to spray silicon on first and when it dries, spray chain wax over top. i think the silicon will get into even nook and cranny better than the wax
    Last edited by grewen; 01-28-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

You can't go wrong with Bel-Ray.

Another vote for Bel-Ray. Has worked very well so far.

I just bought the BelRay today myself, Saw and article on the Chain Grease Ninja and got one of those to try too. Looks like a neat concept that puts the lube where it needs and less where it does not..
    Ken, grewen and littletommy like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Anyone use Motul....I have been quite happy with it...
    Last edited by putt-putt; 02-02-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    littletommy likes this.
    putt-putt

Quote Originally Posted by putt-putt View Post
    Anyone us Motul....I have been quite happy with it...
    i used their paste, which was a pain to put on and then collected dust and flung off onto my wheel and made a mess. then switched to the spray, which also collected dust. i then used spray wax, which worked well, no muss no fuss
    Last edited by grewen; 02-02-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    putt-putt and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by DougDotyTW200 View Post
    I just bought the BelRay today myself, Saw and article on the Chain Grease Ninja and got one of those to try too. Looks like a neat concept that puts the lube where it needs and less where it does not..
    tell us how that ninja works out
    littletommy likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links