Noticed missing spokes after my last ride. Wheel wobbling like crazy
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Noticed missing spokes after my last ride. Wheel wobbling like crazy

Noticed missing spokes after my last ride. Wheel wobbling like crazy

Got home last night and realized I was missing like 7 spokes and a bunch were loose. The local shop quoted right around $500 to respoke and true the wheel. The price sounded pretty absurd to me (trying another shop tomorrow).
    Is it really that complicated? I feel like I'd be better off just hunting down an entire new wheel. Thoughts?
    Aside from ebay are there sites you guys might recommend to buy a replacement?

I can understand it being an expensive job as it looks very time consuming. At least if you get it done or do it yourself you will have a good wheel for a long time. I seldom see value in used parts as often you are putting a part on that is a "little better" but might still have loose spokes and seized nipples.

I'd consider buying a new wheel and taking the time to repair the current one yourself. Then you have a seasonal/spare on hand and the skill to true your wheels.

Oh yeah...what were you doing to the poor bike to damage the wheel that badly? I'm not sure if I should be unimpressed/impressed....
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 01-29-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    littletommy and RideOrDont like this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

"Oh yeah...what were you doing to the poor bike to damage the wheel that badly? "

I have had my rear wheel develop a bad wobble and on roadside inspection I thought my wheel bearings were loose but when I took the wheel off I realized all my spokes were very loose on my 32,000 km TW. I was lucky none of them broke and I was able to tighten them. I blame it on a complete lack of proper maintenance and just riding it every day like a damn hooligan.

Thanks for the input peterb. I'll let you all know after I have a second shop (whom i've actually used before) have a look at it tomorrow morning.

"Oh yeah...what were you doing to the poor bike to damage the wheel that badly? "
    They're tools, not Jewels! My Tdub and I have a very loving and consensual relationship.
    Last edited by RideOrDont; 01-29-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RideOrDont View Post
    Got home last night and realized I was missing like 7 spokes and a bunch were loose. The local shop quoted right around $500 to respoke and true the wheel. The price sounded pretty absurd to me (trying another shop tomorrow).
    Is it really that complicated? I feel like I'd be better off just hunting down an entire new wheel. Thoughts?

What year is your bike? I have two drum break front wheels.

Anyway... how in the hell did you lose 7 spikes and not know it. Are you drinking again? .
    Last edited by TopPredator; 01-30-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Trail Woman likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Running washboard at 90 km/hr, gravel, water crossings and a couple really bad pot holes at way to much speed. Love my TW but I do run it hard.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post

Running washboard at 90 km/hr, gravel, water crossings and a couple really bad pot holes at way to much speed. Love my TW but I do run it hard.
    I do that myself...but I don't weigh much, run off road tire pressure, stand to absorb impacts, and deweight the bike over washboards and potholes. It all seems to reduce the stresses of hard riding. I was imagining something a little rougher with much more weight involved. I rode bicycles with someone roughly the same weight with the same cheap model, just as fast over the same terrain and theirs fell apart in a few months because they weren't as careful. I don't mean to sound like I'm judging or preaching ...just sharing my experience and trying to understand the experience of others.
    Peterb likes this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

Your wheel spoke to you! It said," learn to ride a little less violently with me."
    Cascade Rider likes this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by RideOrDont View Post
    Was this the front or rear? If the rear than it's time for a trailer wheel upgrade as you have to remove all your spokes anyway. Just a thought.
    grewen likes this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links