Click noise when started button engaged
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Click noise when started button engaged

Click noise when started button engaged

2006 TW200. This just started happening. Hit the start button and I hear a click, just one click. Won’t start. Push it and it starts right up. The side panel on rt side where tool bag is has 3 electronic components. When the starter is engaged those 3 click. Occasionally the bike will start also. Any ideas which component to check first.
    Thanks.
    littletommy likes this.

The first thing to eliminate is the starter solenoid

The second thing - is the condition of the battery

The last thing, is the bushes on the starter motor

Welcome to the asylum ....
    littletommy and Miaugi like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

You might want to start by checking for clean tight connections at the battery and starter solenoid.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!!
    Ken likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have an '06 as well but have not had such an issue. As already suggested I would check the battery first off. .....and welcome from Ontario, Canada!
    littletommy likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

The click means it’s not one of the safety devices (neutral, kickstand, etc)? Cheers
    littletommy likes this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Tw200 no start no click

Tw200 won’t click, 12v before sw on, 3v after sw on, very weak lights, it looks like a short, pls help,
    Last edited by Pogino1; 06-05-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Need help trouble shoot this problem
    littletommy likes this.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Pogino 1 - Your battery is dead. A fully charged battery is 12.6-12.8V, 12V is only about a 40% charge and if it drops to 3V, your battery is dead, and may be toast. Try charging it up, with a real charger, not a battery "tender" or "maintainer". And if you do buy a new battery, especially an AGM , make sure YOU fully charge it first before putting into service or it will suffer a very early premature death.
    littletommy likes this.

I just had that same issue with the BW 350 I was rebuilding. There are a number of electrical relays associated with the starting system but one is usually the culprit. Not usually the starter solenoid but the starter relay. I can't ID it on the TW here since they don't label them the same as on the BW and it is is a different place on the TW. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...m/electrical-1

Here is some very good info on the basic starting system and how to test the relays. The one I found faulty is called the Starting relay cut off here and on the BW it is behind the headlight but on the TW it is in the electrical side box. Same relay for both bikes BTW and available on Ebay for about $8 each rather than the $50-$60 from Yamaha.
    https://fattireconversions.com/bw350...tml#electrical

In the test if you power the posts on the relay and you don't hear the click the relay is shot and no power goes to the solenoid.

GaryL
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Unlike an automotive Bendix type solenoid the TW's starter relay solenoid is but a simple relay located under the seat. Low current signal from handlebar switch activates electromagnets closing contacts thus sending high current directly to starter motor. Spinning starter motor's centrifugal force then forces gear engagement with engine rather than the electromagnetic force used to deploy starter gear in automotive applications.
    Since TWpr413 heard the solenoid contacts close ( the "clicking" noise ) it would seem the relay is working. Like Pogino's situation the OP's problem most likely is inadequate battery power to the starter motor. This may be due to bad battery, poor charge on the battery, poor conductivity at terminals or intervening wiring.
    The TW's starter motor brushes are not readily inspectable, nor serviceable elements. If the two starter cover bolts are removed and commutator removed I am not sure if once brushes are accessed and replaced if the whole assembly can be reassembled without a special tool to hold spring loaded brushes in the retracted position while commutator & thrust washers are re-inserted. Not having seen replacement brushes for sale I fear the starter is a non-serviceable item.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links