Thread: Main and Pilot Jets Arrived!!!

Main and Pilot Jets Arrived!!!

Hey guys,

The main and pilot jets finally arrived
    I have purchased this range
    Main: 115, 118, 120, 122, 125, 128
    Pilot: 38, 40, 42, 45, 48, 50

I know some are very very big but I had to purchase 24 of them lol

So I changed already my original main from 116 to 118 as said few months ago
    No I do not remember what my carburetor has as Pilot One, but since I purchased them I will change of course, should I go with a specific size first because you guys already know it works best?
    How about the main one? This tuner friend of mine said you should go 5 points more than your stock one, so I should go 120 or 122 (since I have no 121)

Also I should screw back in the fuel mixture right? Now mine should be at about 2,50-75 (between that)
    Help guyzzz

P.S. assuming that the pilots will fit, but they should, I do not remember the stock size but when I dismounted the design was the same of the ones I have here as far as I remember
    Ken likes this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Hey jannaruto, remind us what's been going on with your bike to make you want to rejet?

These new jets, are they OEM? If not, what are they, or where did you get them? Because, if not OEM, the numbers may not correlate at all. Different manufacturers have different numbering systems for the different orifice sizes.

Based on the sizes you mention, I'm assuming that you have a pre-2001 bike with the older slide carb. For the record, the stock settings are: 114 main, 40 pilot, 1 turn out on the pilot screw.

I think most go up 1 or 2 sizes (which are even #s) on the jets normally, with 2.5 turns out on the screw to get better performance, unless there is special circumstances like a pod air filter and an aftermarket exhaust, in which you'll likely have to experiment to get it right. Altitude and climate are also the other big factors when jetting.

I'm sure others with the old carb will chime in with their settings shortly. Good luck!
    Ken likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
    Hey jannaruto, remind us what's been going on with your bike to make you want to rejet?

These new jets, are they OEM? If not, what are they, or where did you get them? Because, if not OEM, the numbers may not correlate at all. Different manufacturers have different numbering systems for the different orifice sizes.

Based on the sizes you mention, I'm assuming that you have a pre-2001 bike with the older slide carb. For the record, the stock settings are: 114 main, 40 pilot, 1 turn out on the pilot screw.

I think most go up 1 or 2 sizes (which are even #s) on the jets normally, with 2.5 turns out on the screw to get better performance, unless there is special circumstances like a pod air filter and an aftermarket exhaust, in which you'll likely have to experiment to get it right. Altitude and climate are also the other big factors when jetting.

I'm sure others with the old carb will chime in with their settings shortly. Good luck!
    I like to play with my bike
    Also I have a different exhaust that will be remounted sometime next month probably (we are modifyin for better grip on the tube that goes out from the engine and better grip on the chassi with new screws hole etc)

My bike when I opened the cabruretor was with a 116, not a 114, the pilot unfortunately I do not remember the size

The Jets are not oem, I purchased on aliexpress but I have my 116 jet here and it it identical, same shape, same threading and same hole on both side (the side that gets screwed in the hole is like a concave shape or something similar, dunno the english word) so it it 99% identical, just the size (the little number) is on top instead of the side
    The pilot one I do not recall perfectly the shape, but my Carburetor is a TK, I purchased TK and so far they look identical, in a couple of hours I will go on the bike and change the jets, will see what happen ^^

As said I just want to have fun, worst case I spent 18 eur for 24 jets, not a big problem

The mixture screw I should set tighter like 1,5 because of bigger pilot?
    Ken and Fzyace like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Guys question about Pilot Jet
    the one that comes with my carburetor is like the one in the picture
    as you know on the "tip" of the jet there are holes all around
    mine one is like this scheme
    : . : .

SO there are 2 holes then 1 hole, then 2 and then again 1
    The one I purchased instead are like this
    : : : :

There are two holes on each side

Is this normal? I tried to mount a 42 (mine origjnal is a 38) and sometimes the low end seems a bit empty, also I had to turn the mix screw to about 1 turn 1,15 max, otherwise it will be sooo rich the idle will be very low and sputter a lot

Any suggestions, argoument or whatever?

Also I changed the main jet from 118 to 120
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken likes this.

I would do some research and see what oem looks like and then go from there. looking at two different pilot jet port patterns I would feel lost from a tuning perspective. I just got mine in today too as a set I pieced together for mains, couple jets each way from stock, and went from a 31 stock to a 34 pilot jet as recommended several times on here for my newer 2016 style carb. I found a company selling all oem parts on ebay so I put them all in a cart and done one pay and saved some shipping. Search the site here for exactly the info you need, it is here for sure. I just recently found the best way to search is to just use google ex: "tw200 forums carb tuning" and the threads will come up. works great compared to the little search box. Be aware that 87 to 200 was one carb and 2001 to current is a different carb and they take different jetting sizes.

P.S. I would bet the 114 and 40 suggested as original for the older slide carb was correct. If you want to use the aftermarket jets I would just go by the #'s and try it, keep what came out as a reference. Is it running poorly, you never did comment of what it was doing wrong ??
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 01-31-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    Ken likes this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Ken
    On my 1993 with a TK carb, I tried an aftermarket carb rebuild kit. I had to go back to the oem pilot for best starting and performance. I also tried only one size bigger than stock main jet and had to go back to oem on that one also. On mine it just looks like Yamaha did a good job.

My bike actually stock (when I opened) was main 116 and pilot 38 so... quite different from a real stock one
    The main jet I went from 116 to 118 some weeks ago (I purchased an used tw125 and the cabruetor was basically using the same exact jet so I took it) and the pulling at higher gear was awesome
    Now I changed again to 120, still need to decide if it is pulling more, but I can probably feel something in 4th and 5th gear, like the "pulling feeling under the butt"

The thing that bothers me now is the pilot jet which is smaller than original as far as you guys are telling me, and my bike as mentioned in some other topic is quite faster than other TWs I've come across
    I bet with the proper 40 or 42 pilot one my bike would start wheelies without even wanting them hahaha
    But I need to search a Pilot like that one :S

I was thinking
    Since my bike has a pilot of 38 with the style I described

Maybe if I put a 38 of the new style I purchased
    : : : :

It could be like increasing the flow, right? Like going from 38 to 40-42, but I will be using the same number since it has 2 more holes

Does it make sense? the jets are identical, just that 2 more holes are different

OK I opened another cabruretor of a TW I own (part of a TW actually, it miss the front fork) it is a very new 125 cabruretor TK
    I took the pilot jet, it is a 40 one, same pattern as mine 38
    Only difference is in the "top" where you put the screw driver, this new one the edge is a bit sharper than the original one, dun care, bike seems to run very very good so far, but it is raining so can't test properly on the street, also I am sure I will have to check the mixture screw to make it run properly

One thing still concerns me
    My bike came with a 116, i switched to a 118, runs great, yesterday I switched to 120, is that too much fuel and should I go back to 118? I am asking this unrelated to what my body could feel as improving performance, pull or whatever, is maybe too much? I am basically at sea level (Neaples, south italy which is a sea city)

If it feels good and running good you are close. Some top speed comparisons to check power output from one jet to the other can somewhat answer your question, also don't forget you can install a new spark plug and do a plug check for color.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links