Can 1987's be up-dated to newr post 87 CDI's ?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Can 1987's be up-dated to newr post 87 CDI's ?

Can 1987's be up-dated to newer post 87 CDI's ?

Having never worked on a 87 model, let alone one in a need of a new CDI I'm definately ignorant.

My current ( and 1st. ) TW is a 2010 with very low miles and she's running great and I am possibly looking at pickining up another if the price and condition of the bike are what I would consider "Good".

I have seen the resale value of 87's low in comparison to a bike just one year newer. I have also read where experienced people here occassionaly affirmed that the lower cost is justified when talking about 87 models.

I'm anticipating that much of this is likely due to the 1987 "specific CDI's" and problems they appear to be famous for ? I read where new CDI's for that year, or even rebuilt ones if avalible, can be very expensive.

Is there nothing that can be done to up-grade 87 models to be able to utlize the newer post 87 CDI's.

I ask as the 87's are indeed priced cheaper, and I may like to take advantage of this price differance if in I deed pick up another TW for the wife or one of the grandson's to ride with me.. There is a local 87 that looks good ( Red and White ) but I'm not sure if I should consider it ?

excalibur
    Last edited by excalibur; 01-31-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

I'm in the camp of JUST SAY NO!

Although you might get lucky some have.
    littletommy and Peterb like this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

rbm
    The CDI is a one off for the '87, BUT replacements (aftermarket) are available.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    I'm in the camp of JUST SAY NO!

Although you might get lucky some have.
    I made that decision just yesterday myself too but more from a general compatibility issue all around wanting another one to do more extensive projects on but perfectly compatible with my newer 16. With that said there is a sticky on the technical Help Section about a new guy custom building CDI's for the 87's and soon for all the TW's. He was on here recently discussing them.

Google cdiparts.com

I bookmarked it because he was advancing the timing on top end in hopes of getting a bit more power I assume, out of the post 87 bikes since they had this included and I think it was discussed that they are all rolled back to 30 degrees now instead of the 35 like in 87.
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 01-31-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    The CDI is a one off for the '87, BUT replacements (aftermarket) are available.
    Yep, and they work great!

Here's a link: https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...X-85540-M0-00#

The originals seem to last 25-30 years... buy a replacement, and forget about it!

There are more fun things to fool with on a TW, than the CDI...!
    Last edited by CJ7Pilot; 01-31-2018 at 10:15 PM.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

By the way, I own two 1987s.

One, I've been building myself ( https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...-day-mods.html ) ... and the other was built by our own TW guru, LittleTommy!

If you're a tinkerer, don't be afraid of the older models... if not, look for something newer.

Pick your mission first... then find a bike that fits that mission.

Cheers!
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

First of all, I have never tried this, so this is pure speculation on my part.

If you were to replace the flywheel, stator/left side engine cover and CDI of the 1987 with those same parts from any other year TW, the engine should run just fine.

I have no idea what would be involved in getting all of the remaining electrical system connected and working, i.e., the lights, starter, charging system, fusing, safety interlocks, etc.

I believe that Lizrdbrth did this swap on one of his bikes and ended up replacing the entire wiring harness because of connectology (I just made up that word, spell-check says I should have used gynecology ) issues.
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 01-31-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    WECSOG, goldenhtr, admiral and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    First of all, I have never tried this, so this is pure speculation on my part.

If you were to replace the flywheel, stator/left side engine cover and CDI of the 1987 with those same parts from any other year TW, the engine should run just fine.

I have no idea what would be involved in getting all of the remaining electrical system connected and working, i.e., the lights, starter, charging system, fusing, safety interlocks, etc.

I believe that Lizrdbrth did this swap on one of his bikes and ended up replacing the entire wiring harness because of connectology (I just made up that word, spell-check says I should use have used gynecology ) issues.
    While were are at this can i add on to that question by asking if the wiring from 88 to 2000 is consistent after the one year 1987. I think I am confident that it is so for 2001 to present ?? but if not do tell, please... Save me the misery on not fully knowing the details of this gynocological history
    TW-Brian and littletommy like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

I also have two '87 TW's and really like both of them.

I also have a new '88 CDI that came with one of the 87's and I plugged it into the '87 and the bike ran fine. There was a left over wire as '88 and later CDI have 10 wires and the 87 has 9 wires. I have heard but don't know for sure that the pickup coil burns out if you run the '88 CDI for very long in the '87.

All that being said, if you can get an '87 for $300 cheaper and a new CDI costs $300 then it is pretty much a wash.

One thing I do like about the '87 is the headlight comes on with a running engine. If you kill the engine the headlight goes out.

There was a guy on the old forum that got one of these CDI and said it worked really well. Timing is completely adjustable.

Electronic for motorbikes - IgniTech P?elou?
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post

I believe that Lizrdbrth did this swap on one of his bikes and ended up replacing the entire wiring harness because of connectology (I just made up that word, spell-check says I should have used gynecology ) issues.
    Connectology is completely acceptable.
    elime, goldenhtr and littletommy like this.
    1991 TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links