Knocking Noise
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Knocking Noise

Knocking Noise

Brand new bike making knockin noise when accelerating under demand, like up hill. Knockin/vibration?....2017 200 with 12 miles on her.. Any one heard this before?? Thanks
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Welcome to the forum!!

Typical for a new bike. They come from the factory very lean to pass California emissions. This can be solved by turning out the air/fuel mixture screw to 2 1/2 turns out from gently seated.
    Quote Originally Posted by weo58 View Post
    Brand new bike making knockin noise when accelerating under demand, like up hill. Knockin/vibration?....2017 200 with 12 miles on her.. Any one heard this before?? Thanks
    Ken and weo58 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Pull the covers and check the valves for missing hardware or loose adjustment. I’ve heard proper assembly and torque specs during assembly can be an issue. I wouldn’t run that engine until you can find the culprit. Hope it’s easy and no damage. Sorry to have to welcome you to the forum in this way. Let us know if you need procedures for valve inspection.
    Purple, Peterb, Ken and 1 others like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum Weo!

You might want to try downshifting when you encounter a hill, your new TW has only has 196cc's.
    Ken and weo58 like this.

<<knocking noises>>
    i thought this was another fred hijacking thread...

is the knocking transmission related? i got my '94 with 3500 miles and was surprised how klunky it shifted. many, myself included, have found switching to synthetic greatly improves shifting, though some suggest waiting a couple of thousand miles before changing.
    Ken, weo58 and Cascade Rider like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Manual recommendations discourage things like "accelerating under demand, like up hills" for the first 500 miles or so.
    This brings up a hi-jackable debate on proper break-in procedures for our TWs.
    Some say ride 'em hard initially 20 miles in brief blasts so that cylinder honing cross-hatching has a chance to grind and seat the piston rings properly, and if babied those cross-hatched etchings on the cylinder wall don't have a chance to mill the rings properly before cross hatching is worn away.
    Opposite school of though is to avoid at all costs building high engine heat for first several hundred miles. This what the manual refers too. Perhaps it is concern about possible accelerated wear from differential thermal expansion?
    Anyways weo58's knocking sounds unusual. Confirming valve train adjustments can be wise on a used bike but since bike is brand new & on warrantee it might be best to return to dealership so that they can tell you ""Oh, they all do that...go away" which is b better than " Hey, you worked on the bike and now your warrantee is void". Many believe it is better to start and have a paper trail of fully documented warrantee issues. I do like the Yamaha Motor Company but distrust their US dealerships.
    goldenhtr, weo58, Tweaker and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

If I had a brand new bike that was knocking with 12 miles on it it would go right back to the dealer assuming it is under warranty. My other thought is that you are in to high of a gear for the speed.
    Ken likes this.

I wouldn't ride it until you figure it out. I would, at minimum adjust the fuel mixture as LT suggests and add some higher octane fuel (we have recreational fuel in MI, 89 octane, no ethanol that would be my choice if you have something like that locally). If it disappears, easy fix. Then you can try and see if regular fuel works with the properly adjusted carb.
    Ken, weo58 and littletommy like this.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Check the oil level! If it's good....... Ride it back to where you bought it and have them check it out for you
    Ken, weo58 and Peterb like this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

I think lil tommy has it right my bikes had a lean knock until I got them jetted right. They knocked like the timing was off. Open up the pilot air screw to 2-21/2 turns and then try a 128 main jet. You could pull the plug and check how it looks. I bet real lean.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links