1994 TW200 will not start with Electric Start when cold only Kick Starter
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By My ridge
  • 3 Post By Purple
  • 1 Post By My ridge

Thread: 1994 TW200 will not start with Electric Start when cold only Kick Starter

Question 1994 TW200 will not start with Electric Start when cold only Kick Starter

My 1994 TW200 that was recently rebuilt will not start regularly when cold on the electric start. If I kick it over it fires first or second kick.

I recently rebuilt the engine complete with a new top end, all new gaskets, seals, spark plug etc. When I finished the rebuild it started right up on the electric start but now that its ran for a few weeks and I have put about 20 very light miles on it's stubborn to start on the electric start when it's cold.

It always fires on the kick starter and once it's been ridden you can restart it while it's warm with the electric but once it's cooled down again you have to kick it over. I don't mind it but occasionally my wife wants to ride it around the campgrounds and I don't think she even knows it has a kickstarter so I really want it to be reliable for her.

Any suggestions? Also is it normal to hear a little timing chain tick when it's cold? I hear a small ticking that to me sounds like timing chain slap or something in the top end not a knock just a ticking sound. I don't know what normal is for these as I bought this in a non-running condition and I refurbished it.

NO I did not replace the timing chain when I rebuilt it I know I probably should have. I do have a 1987 TT225 with basically the same engine and I don't hear this light ticking sound with it.
    Badgerflorida and littletommy like this.

The 94 has a manually adjusted cam chain tensioner – for further detail check here - https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...r-manuals.html

The condition of the battery may be of concern considering the time of year – it may be that by the time it turns the engine over, there’s little left for a spark …..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thanks for the manual I looked at that when I rebuilt it but only really for the Torque specs didn't realize it was manually adjusted I just assumed it was spring loaded to keep tension on it. I'll check the valve lash now that it's broken in some and readjust that tension rod on the timing chain hope that helps with my ticking sound. The battery is new and i use a NORCO Genious battery maintainer to keep it charged.

Here is a before and after I think I saved it from the scrap yard. They guy I got it from was going to take it to the dump. After lots of eBay parts and some scrubbing and new paint, Attachment 155498Attachment 155506it came out nice. Wish I could find a set of the old decals I loved the rainbow warrior look.
    Attachment 155506
    Attachment 155514Attachment 155514Attachment 155522
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Are you using the choke/enrichener? One thing I've noticed about some TW's is that they don't like to have the starter button held down for very long. Just a quick touch usually does it if everything else is tuned up and correct.

Nice job on the restore!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Sponosred Links