Chain came off on a ride
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First, keep in mind I am an older lady with minimum knowledge and tools. That being said, I try to fix things myself if I can. Please forgive my lack of proper terms. (I do know chain and sprocket!)

While on a ride yesterday, I went over some downed wood. Something must have gotten thrown up, coz the bike stopped immediately and I found the chain off the rear sprocket. Called a friend, we loaded the bike into the truck so I could work on it at home. At first I thought it was some kind of rubber strap that was caught up by the front sprocket. Today I got a better look and the rubber thing is a part of the bike, looks like some kind of guide thing towards the gear box. The chain had come around the front sprocket and rolled up double on itself between the front sprocket and rubber thing. Got to thinking that the rubber thing has some give to it, so maybe I can pull the chain loose. Also, luckily the master link was nearby so I was able to remove it and get a better handhold on the chain. With lots of pulling and some shoving with a flathead screwdriver, the chain unfolded from that area and came loose. I got it back over the rear sprocket and reattached the master link. YES, I got the squeezy thing pointed in the right direction, thanks to reading a tutorial on here!

The bike started right up, went thru the gears and all seems to be running fine. I am one happy camper. But, my question is, should the chain have gone together that easy? Once I got it back in place, the two ends easily came together to be connected with the master link. I'm guessing it should have felt like more pulling together would be involved.

And yes, if you think the chain sounds too loose, I'll get out my manual and get it tightened up. Thanks!

I think your chain may need to be tightened!

I can easily remove and replace my master link without having to loosen the axle. I do it every time I clean and oil my chain. I have had zero problems ( so far ) with the chain coming off.

I also believe a little loose is better than a little tight. To tight can cause some real damage.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm, is there a rule of thumb as to how loose or tight the chain should be? If this was my chain saw, I'd know for sure on the tightness.

Without looking it up in the manual your chain should move up and down about 1.5 to 2 inches total. Check the chain in a few places and measure the point where it is the tightest. Hope that doesnt cause more contusion. Be sure to keep it lubricated with a good chain lube also
    2008 TDUB

Download the Owners Manual from the pinned Topics at top the this forum. Page 6-26 explains how to adjust the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by iowatdub View Post
    Without looking it up in the manual your chain should move up and down about 1.5 to 2 inches total. Check the chain in a few places and measure the point where it is the tightest. Hope that doesnt cause more contusion. Be sure to keep it lubricated with a good chain lube also

Thank you. I did look in the manual but couldn't find anything except that one should check the tension before each ride. sigh I appreciate your help, and the others too!

From the manual:

Drive Chain Slack: 35.0-60.0 mm (1.38-2.36 in)
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Keep an eye on the clip tension. If it isn't an absolute pain to install the clip, you need a new clip.

Not to freak you out, but you dodged a bullet this time. Losing a chain can cost you two feet of stitches down the back of your leg, or worse. You could also have shattered your engine cases or side covers when the chain balled up in there or had the rear wheel lock up at speed.

Keep a spare master and on your keychain or helmet lock, just in case.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Keep an eye on the clip tension. If it isn't an absolute pain to install the clip, you need a new clip.

Not to freak you out, but you dodged a bullet this time. Losing a chain can cost you two feet of stitches down the back of your leg, or worse. You could also have shattered your engine cases or side covers when the chain balled up in there or had the rear wheel lock up at speed.

Keep a spare master and on your keychain or helmet lock, just in case.

When you talk about the clip, are you talking about the clip that holds the master link in place? If so, it was a PIA to get off and back on. Very tight. A needle nose pliers can do things my fingernails never could. No you didn't freak me out It was a slow speed <10 mph. while I was maneuvering around downed wood. So far it seems like everything is good and I consider myself very lucky. I love that bike. It takes me to places up in the Keweenaw Cty. up in the U.P. of Michigan where I could never get to in my truck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links