Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By msmiller
  • 3 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By msmiller
  • 2 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By msmiller

Thread: ‘09 TW engine swap + Carb rebuild re jet

‘09 TW engine swap + Carb rebuild re jet

Rebuilding carb does this need replacement. “Coasting enricher” it still seals and is not torn but has some wrinkling/stretching see pic

Bike has been down for months. Found a used 2013 engine for sale 60 miles away. So now I have two engines a ‘13 with 800 miles and the original ‘09 needs work. I had started troubleshooting the original engine. The coil and stator had burned up (triple check this) my guess that was caused by timing being off do to my lack of knowledge. The timing chain guides had been warn through and the chain tensioner was all the way out. I purchased new stator, coil pickup. But got stuck on the head didn’t want to try it on my own. Now I find myself with the opertunity to travel with my dogs and having a TW along with is going to be gr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by msmiller; 02-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    littletommy likes this.

Pic of piston valve walls. Should you replace the piston valve when you rebuild? 50k on this carb but it was really clean in side. Guess the heat down here and my daily use helped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know the carb answers but I would think you'd want to replace the rubber (big opinion without any practical knowledge). I'm working on twin carbs from an 81 Honda 450 and have run into the old rubber components. Lucky me I get to work on two carbs at once. I may be more knowledgeable on carbs when I'm done with these two. ...and when I do get them fixed, cleaned and put back on, I then get to figure out how to "sync the carbs". Boy, that will be fun. YouTube DIY Carb videos here I come!

You got really lucky on the low mile 13 engine find. As they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

In my original engine (2005), one day riding down the road it started making a terrible noise. No loss of power but the noise was so disturbing I shut it down and called for help and we trailered the TW back to base. I tore the engine apart to find the cause but never really saw anything which stood out. Piston, crank and head (valves) were all in good condition. I did notice a weird wear mark on the timing guides which looked like it forced the timing chain off the guide in one place and back on. I wonder if the chain changing course was the source of this noise. I'll never know for sure unless I get a repeat with any of my other TW's.

I bought new guides and am in the process of getting this engine back together. If successful I'll have a 3rd running TW in the herd. This would make 4 TW's and an XT200 which except for a different transmission, the engine is the same as the TW.

Good luck with all the work your doing.
    littletommy, Mel and elime like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I don't know the carb answers but I would think you'd want to replace the rubber (big opinion without any practical knowledge). I'm working on twin carbs from an 81 Honda 450 and have run into the old rubber components. Lucky me I get to work on two carbs at once. I may be more knowledgeable on carbs when I'm done with these two. ...and when I do get them fixed, cleaned and put back on, I then get to figure out how to "sync the carbs". Boy, that will be fun. YouTube DIY Carb videos here I come!

You got really lucky on the low mile 13 engine find. As they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

In my original engine (2005), one day riding down the road it started making a terrible noise. No loss of power but the noise was so disturbing I shut it down and called for help and we trailered the TW back to base. I tore the engine apart to find the cause but never really saw anything which stood out. Piston, crank and head (valves) were all in good condition. I did notice a weird wear mark on the timing guides which looked like it forced the timing chain off the guide in one place and back on. I wonder if the chain changing course was the source of this noise. I'll never know for sure unless I get a repeat with any of my other TW's.

I bought new guides and am in the process of getting this engine back together. If successful I'll have a 3rd running TW in the herd. This would make 4 TW's and an XT200 which except for a different transmission, the engine is the same as the TW.

Good luck with all the work your doing.
    Thanks admiral. Lucky only goes so far with out other stuff mixed in . Started to reassemble the carb tonight. Got stuck on two things. One a small o-ring and the jets. The moose racing kit I got from pro cycle came with an tiny o-ring that doesn’t show anywhere on the ‘01 supplement. Also the extra jet kit didn’t come with the numbered jet that I’d read about on here #128 was what I had picked instead of stock. But pro cycle excluded a suggested setup with a little note inside. I am starting with their suggestion first. Really I probably should not have messed with it. Bike ran fine just died from heat and highway and lack of knowledge. Bike was down I knew I’d get it back running so I decided to rebuild the carb. Took it apart and reassembled it a couple of times months ago just to learn it. Funny thing I forgot about doing that when I was disassembling it yesterday I was thinking “all these screws are loose”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy likes this.

The rubber diaphragm in my TW carb looks exactly like the one you showed. I have been using it without any troubles. I say go with it. Easy enough to change later on if necessary.
    littletommy and jbfla like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    The rubber diaphragm in my TW carb looks exactly like the one you showed. I have been using it without any troubles. I say go with it. Easy enough to change later on if necessary.
    Thanks elime that’s exactly what I did. going to purchase one and pack it with me just in case. I didn’t soak it in anything just washed it and a little wd40 on the brass plunger. Got the carb assembled tonight with help from here. Last screw going in for the float cover made a popping sound thought it was the lock washer but it was the threads in the body. Going to get a longer one with a locknut doesn’t look like it’d interfere with anything. It’d be a good thing to be riding with a self built carburetor. Tried it once when I was a teen for a ‘67 bug wound up buying a new Webber no internet back then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy likes this.

Sponosred Links