Problems dismantling carb......
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Problems dismantling carb......

Is there a special way to remove the float valve seat? I cant seem to get it to budge. Also the pilot jet? Bent the screwdriver tip i bought special for this task, so ill get that replaced. And what about the diaphram for the coaster enrichment, should i worry with inspecting this? I thought maybe there was a screen to clean behind the cover, First screw cam out easy. On the outer most screw, my screwdriver slipped and i stab my left hand going about an inch deep. all in all im enjoying getting this little bike back together.

If I remember right, i'm pretty sure it is brass and you will destroy it taking it out. Best just order a new one. I think it all comes in a little kit with everything you need. I'm not at my computer or I would look it up.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I grabbed the float valve seat firmly with pliers and wiggled in a twisting motion. If the pliers slip on the brass you are wiggling to much. As I did it it started moving / twisting back and forth. A little bit a first and then more. Eventually it came out. There is an o-ring on it and I bet it has swelled and it is locking it in place. That is what worked for me.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kenfyoozed View Post
    Is there a special way to remove the float valve seat?....
    Tony has the right technique. Use some penetrating oil before trying the removal.

If it's been in a long time, you are likely to damage the seat.

On one seat that was determined not to be removed, I used a screw extractor. There wasn't much left of the seat.

Last resort is to drill it out, carefully, using a drill press. Use a bit slightly smaller that the OD of the seat.

Replace with new seat and oring.

If you get the seat out without damage, you should replace the oring anyway. A dried out oring is one of the causes of fuel leaks.

If you have an old TW, you should check the diaphragm of the coaster circuit. If it's torn, or has a hole in it, you will have trouble tuning the carb.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I have ordered a net vlave seat so i will attempt the extracter method. I did use Deep Creep to help loosen the screws. This morning the screw for the diaphragm came out easy. So i prayed more Deep Creep on everything else hoping it will help.

Under_Dog likes this.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Wow, Timing is everything.....I had the leaking problem noted on another post so I ordered a needle and seat and float bowl gasket. I just finished removing the bowl and and float assembly and sure enough my seat is stuck in the carb body. I just sprayed some penetrating oil around the seat and while its soaking I thought I would ask for help here. And the newest post was my answer. Thanks to all.

BINGO....Just like advertised, after soaking while reading the forum I went back and twisted the seat . Little by little I was able to turn the seat. After "worrying" it for a bit it broke loose, thanks again

Well after finding a screwdriver to fit inside the shaft of the pilot screw housing, and sitting all day after using more deep creep it came right out. The screwdriver that did it for me was a cheap .88 cent task force brand from Lowes. It was a 3/16 slotted tip that was no wider than the shaft. A screwdriver with a tip that doesnt have the "shoulders" of the tip where it transform from shank to blade is the key. For the float valve seat, i used a small locking angled tip pliers and wiggled it loose. And of course the o ring was flat as could be. So its all apart now awaiting for my parts and carb cleaning wire set to come in. I cant wait! Thanks again for all the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenfyoozed View Post
    ...and carb cleaning wire set to come in...
    Be careful using the carb cleaning wires. They should be used gently to open a passageway or remove bits of crud from a jet.

If you use them to ream out parts, you may unwittingly enlarge a jet opening or cause a burr in a passageway. Both will cause you to have trouble tuning the engine.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links