Rear Brake Squeal
Close

Searcy, AR College Location; Ada, OK Home
    Hey guys, I have a concern about the rear brakes on my '07 TW200. Last week I aired my tires back up after doing some very light off-road riding, and they needed airing up anyways. I took my bike to a tire shop in the town I go to school in. Had the guy air the back tire up to 20-22 psi, even though for some reason he aired it up to 45 psi originally (WTH??) after I told him 20 psi. Ever since then, my back brake has been squealing whenever I press on it. It has been pretty rainy and wet here, so I don't know if that could be the problem. I have only had the bike for about 3 months, so I might just need to some checking up on the rear brake. Any ideas where to start?
    2007 Yamaha TW200

Sounds like you have glazed the shoes. Take the rear wheel off and use some sand paper on the shoes and drum to remove it.A little brakekleen on a shop rag to wipe it down with and your done. After installing the rear wheel make sure to readjust them and enjoy a squeel free ride. A least until the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Sounds like you have glazed the shoes. Take the rear wheel off and use some sand paper on the shoes and drum to remove it.A little brakekleen on a shop rag to wipe it down with and your done. After installing the rear wheel make sure to readjust them and enjoy a squeel free ride. A least until the next time.

Excellent advice. I do this to mine about two times a year.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you want to go real nutz. You can fit the shoes to the drum. This means filing and sanding the shoes until they make full contact with the drum. If your REAL bored it's a way to pass an afternoon.

Wow xracer. That sounds like a lot of fun. I had to sand my brake about once a month because it kept glazing. So I sanded down the edges a litlle and used a file to cut grooves in it about 1" apart. That was 4 months ago and haven't heard a squeak since. The front brake will squeak on the first ride if theres moisture in the air.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    I had to sand my brake about once a month because it kept glazing. So I sanded down the edges a litlle and used a file to cut grooves in it about 1" apart. That was 4 months ago and haven't heard a squeak since. The front brake will squeak on the first ride if theres moisture in the air.
    Front AND back brakes on mine squeal with the first application or two...depending on humidity and such.

Filing grooves in the shoes is a clever way to fix this. Buy sintered shoes if you can.
    Visit my Blog...Hidden Content or my YouTube channel: Hidden Content

Be carefull filing grooves. I've had shoes come apart from cutting them too deep! Also I've found the oem Yamaha ones work the best. Most aftermarket shoes don't have the stopping power and squeel worse than the stockers.

Yeah I only cut mine about halfway through them, maybe a little less. And I used a small triangle file to do it so that more is removed from the face than the center. Took about 20 minutes but I would definitely recommend it. Take a tape measurer and mark the distance apart and draw vertical lines with a sharpie. Makes the job easier and cleaner.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Sponosred Links