Oil temp dipstick
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is there an oil temp dipstick thats usable on the tw's. I had one on my CT70, and i liked it for those times sitting in traffic in the middle of summer. Thought i would get one for this bike as well, but cant seem to find one, IF they even exist....

Dipstick type temp gauges won't work on a TW because the clutch assembly is in the way.

The best way is to tap the oil drain plug for 1/8" pipe threads for the sensor and use an electronic gauge.

The inexpensive units from GlowShift and others are surprisingly accurate. Certainly accurate enough for monitoring ballpark oil temp. The readout is fairly small and it isn't very hard to find a home for it somewhere on the bars.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I was wondering if the clutch would be in the way. I did see the write up of tapping the drain and using a gauge on the bars, and if all else fails will go that route. But i was also thiking about getting an oil cooler. which lead me to thinking of a possible inline oil temp guage between the filter and cooler? Really wouldnt need to check temps while riding, just maybe while stopped in traffic. But again im probably putting the cart befre the horse. Thanks for the help guys...

Quote Originally Posted by kenfyoozed View Post
    ....But i was also thiking about getting an oil cooler...
    Lizrdbrth........since he asked..... Have you put together your oil cooler kit yet?

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Frankly I've completely dropped the ball due to some rather pressing family issues.

Will rectify that immediately. Availability will be posted on the oil cooler thread.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Frankly I've completely dropped the ball due to some rather pressing family issues.

Will rectify that immediately. Availability will be posted on the oil cooler thread.
    No pressure...only curious as to your progress.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Options for 'oil-temp' read outs:

This is simple. Tap drain plug for sensor. I installed a plug in fitting for easy disconnect when draining oil. This works fine for me.

I started off with the "Glow-shift" digital read-out gauge and really liked seeing an exact number. What I did not like is that for some reason, the electronics on the Glow-shift system created lots of static on my 2 meter ham radio. With this, I installed a VDO gauge that I used on my VW. Worked great... I then moved to a more 'integrated' system which was a Trail-Tech Vector. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Actually i found out trail tech has a TTO product that reads from the same location you have done. And that they even sell drain plugs pre drilled for the temp prob in many different drain plug sizes. And a small digital read out "box" you could plave up on the instrument panel.

MrGizmow, you may be the only person in the world with a 2 meter radio in the trunk of a TW. Nice, btw.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links