Clutch adjustment issue
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Thetrainer
  • 1 Post By BikeNbowHNTR
  • 2 Post By GCFishguy

Thread: Clutch adjustment issue

Clutch adjustment issue

My clutch was engaging at the very end of the throw so I thought I would adjust it to get the proper "free Play" I checked the spring and of course it was not installed properly!
    I moved the adjustment screw a few turns and now the bike stalls as soon as I put it into gear! I am assuming the clutch being partially engaged is causing this. I have tried adjusting it in every possible way and it still stalls! I moved both the upper and lower adjustment.

Any ideas?
    2009 TW200, stock, so far...

Keep messing with it. Make sure each end of the cable is seated properly. Double check the spring. Don't open the clutch case until you have exhausted all options and then still don't do it. An old timer once told me the first place to look for a problem is the last place someone was trying to fix the problem.
    Lyterx and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    87 TW200 w/ TRI-z front end
    86 GL1200
    1850 Hydra Sport
    past:
    89 TW
    90 TW
    86 BW200
    GSXR
    Xj750
    Ninja1000
    Z50
    etc....

The TW’s all do that when the clutch is cold – and yes, it’s the plates

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...tch-issue.html
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What Purple said. And, in case you created your own problem by mucking with the adjustment....first, check and see if you have any freeplay. If that's completely out of whack (possibly if you adjusted the heck out of it)...set the adjuster at the clutch lever so it's about halfway through its travel. Check the freeplay. Have none, have a ton..? Adjust so it's as close as possible to spec by moving the lower adjustor. Then do the fine adjustment with the upper adjuster.
    If you haven't found TDubsKid's videos on Youtube, go look for them. He's got a bit of a dorky sense of humour, but he does a great job of documenting, shooting, and explaining basic maintenance procedures....he has a very good video on clutch adjustment. You should go watch it.

All that said, maybe it's just what Purple said. It looks like the TW is new to you, so you might just never have walked up to it, and had these conditions..... The clutch plates will stick together, causing it to jump ahead and stall when you drop it down into first. This happens when sitting for a while, and happens all the time in colder weather. I'm assuming it's not -20 on Vancouver Island, but it's not beach weather either. I found the easiest way to 'bust them loose' was to put it into 2nd (or 3rd), engine off, sit on it, pull the clutch in, and kind of toss your weight forwards and down onto the seat. Just enough of a forward shove to turn the back wheel, and drop your weight on the seat so the back tire doesn't just slide on the garage floor.

Oh boy..... what a rookie mistake!!! Kick stand kill switch hey.... never heard of it....

Thanks for all the info anyway! It helped in actually getting the clutch set how I wanted.
    Purple likes this.
    2009 TW200, stock, so far...

That's funny right there. You're the first person that's every been caught by a safety cut-off switch. Ever.
    "I replaced the coil, rebuilt the carb....wait, kill switch?" Mine was the little toggle switch on my outboard...the one that's tripped when the tether cord is pulled off....the tether cord that was laying on the seat when I pulled it out of storage one spring.....the tether cord that laid on the seat for over an hour while I tried to figure out why it wouldn't start....
    Watching DR650 videos the other night...watched a guy dump his new DR on a sandy trail, and hit the kill switch to shut it off....then watched him spend a long time trying to figure out why it wouldn't start...then push it partway home, calling it bad names all the way.....then suddenly it's running and he's riding again..hehe
    admiral and Xracer like this.

Sponosred Links