Help with ideas for wiring up the ignition for an engine bench test stand
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help with ideas for wiring up the ignition for an engine bench test stand

Help with ideas for wiring up the ignition for an engine bench test stand

Wanting to build a run in and test stand for my engine project on the bench and wanting to figure out a simple solution that will properly power the ignition -vs- trying to buy all the wiring harness and components. Starting/cranking circuit is plenty simple. Prefer not to take one of the bikes apart just to do a test fire.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Sounds like you need a adjustable power source at the right voltage and switch to trigger your electric start? I don't see any way around the magneto and CDI....

I found one of these recently...
    yamaha-tw200.jpg
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 02-14-2018 at 04:45 PM.

I will just use my big booster box as a starter and or ignition power source. Just was hoping someone had specific knowledge that could help me rig a 4 or 6 or 8 wire very simple harness that could power and run the motor off a cdi as simple and clean as possible. I will study this wiring diagram but it is a weakness of mine to use it for what I need.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like you have an idea what you are doing since you understand the cranking circuit. You will have to hook into the ignition trigger from the stator and hook it up to a CDI which will trigger your coil. Look at the wiring diagram and see if you can figure out the basic wiring to make spark. If you are really stuck I will figure it out and draw it up for you. I also have one of these https://www.ebay.com/i/112806192856?rt=nc . It works great on multi cylinder vehicles but I have never tried it on a single. It just puts out a constant spark and you plug it in place of the coil wire on a distributor cap and she fires up but will ping a bit as you have no control over timing. I will try hooking it up to my TW on the weekend. I have a spare engine on a stand for my FZ6. This video is before I built the stand and I wanted to make sure it ran ok. I had no fuel pump for the injection so I built a pipe with a schrader (tire) valve on it then I fill the pipe with gas and pressurize it to 43 psi with my portable air tank (used propane tank). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJka...ature=youtu.be
    Miaugi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    Sounds like you have an idea what you are doing since you understand the cranking circuit. You will have to hook into the ignition trigger from the stator and hook it up to a CDI which will trigger your coil. Look at the wiring diagram and see if you can figure out the basic wiring to make spark. If you are really stuck I will figure it out and draw it up for you. I also have one of these https://www.ebay.com/i/112806192856?rt=nc . It works great on multi cylinder vehicles but I have never tried it on a single. It just puts out a constant spark and you plug it in place of the coil wire on a distributor cap and she fires up but will ping a bit as you have no control over timing. I will try hooking it up to my TW on the weekend. I have a spare engine on a stand for my FZ6. This video is before I built the stand and I wanted to make sure it ran ok. I had no fuel pump for the injection so I built a pipe with a schrader (tire) valve on it then I fill the pipe with gas and pressurize it to 43 psi with my portable air tank (used propane tank). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJka...ature=youtu.be
    Fair enough, I have made what I think is a diagram of what might work taking from the wiring diagram offered above in this thread, please review and advise on 3 notated questions and any other comments of what I am doing right and or wrong. Thanks for your offer to help. After re-reviewing, I guess #1 and #2 are the same question.

brief wiring.JPG
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 02-15-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Peterb likes this.

Just be sure to rig up a fan to keep it cool.

Ok first is unless you have a different wiring diagram I looked at 2 diagrams and where you have white to green and green to white is wrong.
    It should be white to white and green to green.
    The blue/yellow (L/Y) needs to be grounded. It is normally grounded through the kill switch in the run position and is disconnected to kill the engine.
    The blue (L) can be left disconnected as it runs directly to the clutch switch and has to do with the start circuit cut off relay and the ignition cut off relay which you will not be using.
    The black /white (B/W) is grounded when you shut off the ignition switch so you can use this to shut it off by grounding it or just disconnect the blue wire.
    Its easy to hook up fuel but I have also run engines using an unlit propane torch in the intake.
    Good luck and share a video when you get it running.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    Ok first is unless you have a different wiring diagram I looked at 2 diagrams and where you have white to green and green to white is wrong.
    It should be white to white and green to green.
    The blue/yellow (L/Y) needs to be grounded. It is normally grounded through the kill switch in the run position and is disconnected to kill the engine.
    The blue (L) can be left disconnected as it runs directly to the clutch switch and has to do with the start circuit cut off relay and the ignition cut off relay which you will not be using.
    The black /white (B/W) is grounded when you shut off the ignition switch so you can use this to shut it off by grounding it or just disconnect the blue wire.
    Its easy to hook up fuel but I have also run engines using an unlit propane torch in the intake.
    Good luck and share a video when you get it running.
    Thanks, Could you look back to verify a couple things ... I think you meant the blue/yellow wire can be disconnected to use as a kill switch instead of the blue wire ?? I am a little fuzzy on that.

Do I need to provide a 12v+ power source anywhere in this concept to maybe give something to send charge back to or is it ok to not and assume the power comes from the generator as soon as cranking begins. I do not know enough to know if it will hurt any of the components ?? If I have to provide a 12+, then do I even need the regulator rectifier in the mix ??

Thanks, I think I can do this now with one last round of help. I really appreciate it. !!!!!
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 02-16-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Um no Read it again and look at a wiring diagram. The way I stated is correct unless you have a different wiring diagram or something. I'm an automotive mechanic not a bike mechanic so not 100% sure on this but I think it will run without 12 volts, battery or charging circuit hooked up but it can't hurt to hook up the regulator and battery. As I understand it the CDI is powered by a separate winding in the magneto. Go make some sparks!

I just did not understand the part about I could leave the blue disconnected ........ but then later you mention disconnecting the blue to shut it off as an option ?? Battery ground is obvious but where would you tap in the battery positive into this program. Thanks I understand where you are coming from but think you might understand reading wiring diagrams better than I.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links