Random miss at idle
Close
††††
††††
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spewingjason

Thread: Random miss at idle

Random miss at idle

My 87, which Iíve been tinkering with on and off for a few months now seems to have just a hint of a random miss at idle. Seems to be a pretty persistent issue even after changing a lot of things. My cdi was bad and rejetted to 42 pilot and I think I have a 118 main in now. .030 shim under the needle. New mixture screw I think at about 2 turns out. Itís been there before and after all these mods. The bike seems to run about perfect as far as I can tell otherwise and itís really pretty minor. If it were easier to play with the mixture screw I would more, just hard to get to, need to make a better tool than what Iím using. Donít think I have any vacuum leaks, boot looks ok, replaced o-ring on boot to head joint. Think Iíll double check valve lash, but otherwise think I just need to fine tune mixture screw? I think Iím pretty on top of carb and tuning stuff in general, but Iíll listen to any advice offered. Also, looking for probably some stock turn signals, donít care what year and suggestions on a low profile tail light. I think I am going get the 87 road ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you at sea level? With a 42 and two turns out it might be a bit rich. Actually, playing with the pilot screw is pretty easy. Get a small cheap screwdriver and hacksaw it off at about two inches. Use a small ViseGrip or needlenose to move it. Or you may be able to find a really short mini screwdriver that will fit between the carb and the motor. Otherwise it will take some re-gripping to slowly turn it in to just firm and then back out to 1.5. Try that. If you have never screwed it all the way in you have no idea where it really is. (GENTLY!)
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Iím about 900 feet. I was actually at about 2.5 turns out, went to 2ish and it does indeed seem a little better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I may try making a t-handle mixture screw one of these days. Iím pretty handy with a lathe and silver solder.

Tweaker likes this.

Sponosred Links