Carb guys, what causes the hanging slow return to idle o the vv carb on a quick blip
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Carb guys, what causes the hanging slow return to idle o the vv carb on a quick blip

Carb guys, what causes the hanging slow return to idle o the vv carb on a quick blip

Subject says it. Is it the cv slide slow to drop back down that keeps the revs from dropping like I am used to on every other gasoline powered engine in the world. Just one of a few quirky things I do not like about this carb. Also the Racing high idle on full choke on a cold start seems excessive too. Is this normal. I should have my other bike running today and begin to compare.

EDIT: Sorry for the typos, I'm not worth a darn on my little screen phone and can't edit a subject.
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 02-20-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo apology in title
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Sounds like a vacuum leak, check the boot between the carb and head.
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2001 TW200
    1999 DR350SE
    2002 Sportster 1200
    Suzuki Ozark 250 (Broke)
    Rokon RT140 (in a basket)
    Belarus AS250 tractor

Definitely not normal. Also check that the throttle quadrant is returning all the way closed and that the return throttle cable isn't too loose or that the main cable isn't too tight. Main cable should have about 1/16 " of slack when throttle closed and return cable the same when throttle open. You can see the cables bow slightly in their respective positions.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes I’ve had interference with the grip on the throttle too. My bikes have pretty high idle right away on any choke with a 34 pilot jet. With that pilot jet here in SD we don’t need to choke at all. I have little to no lag but I have tuned my bikes for the DG exhausts. Some guys have enlarged the hole in the slide but I haven’t found that necessary. Getting the right needle height using washers for the mid range really made my bikes snappy.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Yes I’ve had interference with the grip on the throttle too. My bikes have pretty high idle right away on any choke with a 34 pilot jet. With that pilot jet here in SD we don’t need to choke at all. I have little to no lag but I have tuned my bikes for the DG exhausts. Some guys have enlarged the hole in the slide but I haven’t found that necessary. Getting the right needle height using washers for the mid range really made my bikes snappy.
    I put a 34 pilot in my 03 as I went through that carb and it will come to life this afternoon so I will have something to compare to. I did loosen the return side cable and it maybe seemed a little better even though i think it was making it all the way back to the stop before, but maybe not quite as snappy and or decisive, maybe a bit a drag with it before. I amde a short video if I can post it, not sure how on this site.

Ken likes this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Before you do anything, adjust your valves! A leaky/tight exhaust valve creates this very symptom!

Jim
    Tweaker, admiral, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by jtstdub View Post
    Before you do anything, adjust your valves! A leaky/tight exhaust valve creates this very symptom!

Jim
    Would a leaky header to muffler exhaust leak cause this as well? I noticed my XT200 (same engine as the TW) seems to sometimes have the same symptom as what's being questioned here by hanging. On my ride a couple weeks ago I forgot to pay attention as my focus was on the trail.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Would a leaky header to muffler exhaust leak cause this as well? I noticed my XT200 (same engine as the TW) seems to sometimes have the same symptom as what's being questioned here by hanging. On my ride a couple weeks ago I forgot to pay attention as my focus was on the trail.
    Wouldn't think so but Old air cooled VW's sure do not deal with exhaust leaks at the head to header... Causes flat spots.... along with the exhaust popping of deceleration.

jt
    admiral, Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Does the video seem normal to you guys, It just seems to be slow in getting back down to idle on a throttle chop. Not just the chop but it seems to be pretty obvious when changing gears and you are wanting the rpm to fall off a little.
    admiral and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DougDotyTW200 View Post
    Does the video seem normal to you guys, It just seems to be slow in getting back down to idle on a throttle chop. Not just the chop but it seems to be pretty obvious when changing gears and you are wanting the rpm to fall off a little.
    Seems a little longer. I'll listen to the 3 TW's in my shop tonight and see what they sound like after they warm up.

My XT200 has hung up a lot longer than the TW in your video until recently when I reduced my idle speed in the hopes something sticking was the problem. This did help but not illuminated the hang. So I'm not sure if it's a linkage issue or vacuum issue or valve issue or exhaust issue. I suspect or would hope with a newer TW you wouldn't have one of these issues. I'm curious now about the valves being off and I don't remember a hanging idle before making any valve adjustments before.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links