New Engine Break in
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: New Engine Break in

New Engine Break in

After many searches on new engine break in I have discovered an amazing amount of different opinions. There seems to be no consensus on the subject so I have to ask - Why not believe the break in procedure recommended by Yamaha? What possible reason would Yamaha have for providing false information and suggesting a break in procedure that was not valid? Also, has anyone here experienced engine problems that they can attribute to improper break in?
    Ken likes this.

Just another opinion, but I think the Yamaha recommendation is probably fine. As for me. I change the oil with conventional every 500 for 2000 miles then synthetic after that. And basically just drive it normal.
    Donzo and Ken like this.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla1 View Post
    Just another opinion, but I think the Yamaha recommendation is probably fine. As for me. I change the oil with conventional every 500 for 2000 miles then synthetic after that. And basically just drive it normal.
    I bought two bikes, a 2016 and 2003 with 400 and 330 miles respectively. I am following Vanillas above philosophy as I share it as well. Since I am still technically in the break in mileage range. I just am not really interested in driving around town at varying throttle setting below 1/3 or 1/2 so I am getting out on the two lanes some as well and running at 50 to 60 mph some. I run 4, 20 mile segments today just out riding between stops. Since I bought both low miles but used, I changed oil first thing on the 03 cause it was unknown and did not fully trust oil change claim of the sellers brother and after 100 added miles on the 16 cause the PO said he had already done it and i believed him. I bought 6 quarts of yamalube and figure that will get both bikes to well over 1000 miles and then decide what i will use long term then since the yamaha dealer is an hour away. A good quart changes these so I am going to hit them both a couple times real quick like 3-4 heat cycles and then go longer like 500 miles at a time or till it starts turning darker. I am overly anxious to get synthetic in them since I have had amazing smooth shifting and clutch feel out of Belray fully syn oil on multiple occasions in the past. Will be hard not to go early on this but a lot of guys say 2000 miles give or take.

That was a bunch of crap about my plans and only partially relative to what you asked but you cannot go wrong doing it the way Yamaha suggested for sure and it has to be likely optimal. I also believe an extra change or two early on cannot be anything but good as well but may not be necessarily prescribed by Yamaha due to owner convenience. The strainer and filter do catch a lot of shavings and junk the first oil change or 3 so getting it outta there can only be a great thing long term. My .02 worth
    Ken, TS185 and Peterb like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So I have read that Yamaha uses a special "break in" oil and that is the reason for the 600 miles before the first change. Is that true or is it just regular Yamalube?
    Ken and TS185 like this.

I cannot honestly confirm, it is possible I suppose that they use such an oil still these days, we use to break in airplane engines on mineral oil in the old days but ring and surface finishing has came a long way and I at least believe that is old tech now and so long as it is not synthetic oil that it is a suitable break in oil to use. Once again my opinon but I would rather get the crap out than think I had special oil, less of the two evils, the stuff gong through the engine until it hangs in a strainer or filter is enough to be alarming to most people and want it outta there me included. I went through this on a new kubota tractor and the guys swore that the repeated oil changes a cople of times early added a lot of trouble free life for the guys that did it. They also made a lot of shavings and just in the filters for the first 2-3 oil changes. Don't get too up tight about it, just ride it, pile on some miles o smiles and give it a couple oil changes in the earlier part of it's life and it will be great.
    Ken and TS185 like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    So I have read that Yamaha uses a special "break in" oil and that is the reason for the 600 miles before the first change. Is that true or is it just regular Yamalube?
    No, it's just plain Yamalube 10W40. However, the 600 mile interval is not conservative enough in my opinion. I changed it at 50 miles and again at 150 miles. There was enough metal in the filter to make me think that was a good idea. Now I will go to 800 miles and also check the valves at that time. By 2,000 the engine is ready for full synthetic. This was what I did on my 2010 and at 16,000 miles it only used half a quart every 2,000 miles.

As for break-in, it's really simple: Don't let it get really hot, don't ride it at WOT on the highway for an hour, and vary the rpm's a lot. I've already had my new one up to 60 mph, but only for a couple of minutes, and it has only 150 miles on it.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I broke my VStrom in as specified by Suzuki as it came with a 5 year warranty which I did not want to nullify , but this article has always got me wondering.
    littletommy, Ken and TS185 like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

that artical is the one i go by for break in. first 20 miles are the most important for ring seating.

EJ, have you ever taken a close look at the Suzuki 5 year warranty? i bought a dr650 with the 5 year on it. look close as i can't find anything that they would have to cover under warranty, if they didn't want to.
    Last edited by grewen; 02-21-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    Ken likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I love it, the most popular answer is, when during break in, " Ride it like you stole it " Was there any chance this was gonna end any different that that

In the end just ride, don't abuse it terribly and change the oil a couple extra time early on.

My theory was variable driving...switch gears often, gentle gear breaking on the downshift, don't leave the gear and throttle in one position for more then 10 seconds. It's much easier offroad or in the city. The oil changes I think are a little more intuitive since yamaha wants to cover their ass and sell their brand of oil as well. I followed the guide line roughly....seems to be broke it well. Most of the metal was in the filter and the oil drained sometimes a little glittery. I have noticed an increase in performance after an oil change though ...if you're a little over due you'll notice the diff.
    Ken likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links