Oil extraction
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Oil extraction

Oil extraction

Has anyone tried to us an oil extractor to change oil?

My 17 year old Mercedes is designed for this (does not even have a drain bolt) and I do oil changes anding up and with clean hands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That would be faster and easier, but I'm guessing it would leave more old oil and any heavy particles may stay at the bottom in the left behind oil. Not a bad idea if the hose could reach the ideal location.

You still should remove the oil filter screen and flush out all debris. If we had a spin on / throw away filter it would be ok but for this style of lube system I would never skip the flushing of the screen. It was shocking how many filings and small bits that came out for the first few oil changes. The extractors work great on lawnmowers and outboards, but for this engine its definitely a hot oil drain and filter rinse for me.
    Here is a picture of what can be left behind if you don't do a total flush and rinse. This was posted on an oil change thread be another member: 34697783061_4c06802aba_z.jpg
    Last edited by wrench-puller; 02-25-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This makes no sense at all. You need to look at and clean both the oil drain screen and the oil filter screen at EVERY oil change!
    (Unless you only want your TW to last 5 years.)
    Cascade Rider likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

New to all this and in reading your responses I see I did not understand that the drain plug incorporates a strainer. Oil extraction would certainly not remove anything trapped there. TWs and oil extraction do not mix.

Since I’m here to learn, what is the purpose of the oil strainer? None of my cars, mowers, generators, etc. have had them. Is this belt-and-suspenders engineering or are tolerances so loose that metal accumulates there?
    Last edited by Cascade Rider; 02-25-2018 at 11:15 PM.

The drain plug screen takes out the big chunks and the oil filter takes out the little chunks....old fashioned belt and suspenders engineering....and yes, the TW tolerances are loose compared to modern motorcycle engines....except for Harleys. Remember, the TW was designed in the mid 80's with 1970's technology....that is why we love them so.

"We don't need no steenking fuel injection!"
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I like the idea of reusable filters on the TW. After the first few oil changes you don't see the metal like the first changes. If you were to start seeing more particles it might be an incentive to look into the problem before having a catastrophic issue.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Let me play Devil's Advocate for your intellectual considration:
    Filters need to be cleaned or changed when they get clogged enough to interfere with fluid flow rates. Certainly they can be electively serviced at any time of we like since we seem to want particulates out of the engine even if they are doing no harm trapped on a filter.
    The ~200 mesh filter medium in post #3 looks to be less than 1% covered, far from being clogged like an air filter can get clogged. It is holding those particles safely out of the fluid stream, or do you think somehow it is going to let go of those particles and re-introduce them into the main part of engine and gear box?
    If so, please explain how you think this re-introduction happens.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I used to have an extractor like that that I used for my riding mower. For my bikes I get down on my knees and do the religious services the old way.
    And of course the filters. TWs got the filter cleaned and other bikes got it changed.
    Elvesus likes this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Let me play Devil's Advocate for your intellectual consideration:
    ....... do you think somehow it is going to let go of those particles and re-introduce them into the main part of engine and gear box? ......
    I have no doubt that whatever visible particles you see in the oil filter will not be re-introduced, however regular inspection and cleaning of said filter will give one a pretty good idea of how much metal the engine is shedding in X number of miles, and how that changes over the life of the engine. Non regular inspection will not. This is why I look at the filter at ~500 mile intervals for the first 3,000 miles.

Referencing my previous post about seeing the glint from micro particles (sub 10 micron) in the drained oil in sunlight, it is apparent that there is stuff you won't see in either filter. This is why 1,000 or maybe 1,500 mile oil changes in a TW are a good idea, even after break-in, when at least three changes before 1,000 miles is a VERY good idea.

In contrast, my R1200GS goes 6,000 miles between oil and filter changes from day one and I have seen only a minuscule number of steel particles on the drain plug magnet. The oil is still colored like dark honey! That engine has completely different technology from the TW.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links