Problem Child TW200
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Problem Child TW200

Problem Child TW200

Mine is a 2006 that I picked up for $1,800 bucks thinking it was a good deal. My first mistake was violating my own rule of buying bikes at night and thus not being able to really inspect the condition of the bike. The seller said it runs but bogs when you gas it which i confirmed. First I had to straighten up all the bent parts than I cleaned the carb and even bought a re-build kit thinking that was all. It ran for about 10 minutes and then it just died. I tried to crank it and would turn but not restart. I noticed the plug was getting plenty of gas so I figured i'm dealing with and electrical problem. I replaced the ECU, ignition coil and the starter solenoid only because the case on the original was busted. I checked the plug and even tested it for spark which seem to be faint but probably ok. After the parts swap I can get it to start and run poorly if I give lots of throttle input. If I let go of the throttle it dies. FWIW the gas is new and all fluids and filters are new. Its almost like this thing is not firing in time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Can you verify the carb jet #'s sounds like it is seriously over fueling. Also the choke enricher is a fuel adder and you can inspect it's operation with the top plastic cap off.

Just want to make sure you know you can leave the cables unhooked and and just loosen the two boot screws and rotate the carb 90 degrees to look tinker or test and then rotate it back quickly and tightern the t2 screws to check the result. Makes thing progress much faster.

P.S. carb issues out number ignition problems on a bike the new 20 to 1, I would guess
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Welcome to the forum!! Hang in there, we'll help you...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you have spark do not do any electrical work A fowled plug (covered with gas) can be a problem. Clean it good. I see it a lot on my small motors after sitting for the winter.

Also, the fact that it ran for 10 minutes and stopped is a sign that something is blocking the gas. These CV carbs have very small passages and they plug very easily.

Ethanol in the gas? Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by T30 View Post
    Mine is a 2006 that I picked up for $1,800 bucks thinking it was a good deal. My first mistake was violating my own rule of buying bikes at night and thus not being able to really inspect the condition of the bike. The seller said it runs but bogs when you gas it which i confirmed. First I had to straighten up all the bent parts than I cleaned the carb and even bought a re-build kit thinking that was all. It ran for about 10 minutes and then it just died. I tried to crank it and would turn but not restart. I noticed the plug was getting plenty of gas so I figured i'm dealing with and electrical problem. I replaced the ECU, ignition coil and the starter solenoid only because the case on the original was busted. I checked the plug and even tested it for spark which seem to be faint but probably ok. After the parts swap I can get it to start and run poorly if I give lots of throttle input. If I let go of the throttle it dies. FWIW the gas is new and all fluids and filters are new. Its almost like this thing is not firing in time.

Anyone have any ideas?
    If it ran 10 minutes and seemed ok but died then I bet there was some junk went back into the carb. (0% chance it is it dirt it is in the pilot jet, you can extract it easily on the bike by doing the rotate carb in the boots deal. Drop the bowl and blow the jets out again and I would recommend one of these filters, a lot of the guys here run them as a first like of defense.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    littletommy likes this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

The tank was a disaster of rust when I first brought it home so I cleaned it with vinegar and it came out pretty good. I have an inline filter like the one depicted on the link but that doesn't mean the carb is not fouled again. I'll try cleaning it. I'll post the numbers of the jets once I get it apart again. My petcock is pretty FUBAR but its getting gas so fuel supply doesn't seem the be the issue. Its almost like its missing. When I crank it a move the throttle to half it "sputter runs". Seems to be smoking quite a bit also. I don't recall it doing that before. I checked the intake and exhaust valve clearances when I brought the little piglet home, made the proper adjustments to bring everything into spec and it ran OK for a little while but never right.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DougDotyTW200 View Post
    Can you verify the carb jet #'s sounds like it is seriously over fueling. Also the choke enricher is a fuel adder and you can inspect it's operation with the top plastic cap off.

Just want to make sure you know you can leave the cables unhooked and and just loosen the two boot screws and rotate the carb 90 degrees to look tinker or test and then rotate it back quickly and tightern the t2 screws to check the result. Makes thing progress much faster.

P.S. carb issues out number ignition problems on a bike the new 20 to 1, I would guess
    Good tip
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by T30 View Post
    Good tip
    Ya, really good !!,. Can't take credit though. Lets you do 5 tweaks to the pilot screw, needle or look at jets in the time it takes to do one pulling the carb. life saver for time spent. I still need to make me up a tool to the pilot screw in place.

Here is another of my own. After several r&r's back to back. I found when reinstalling the carb, .... go in from the left side, hook the boot from the filter housing and pull it towards you ... "I use my finger or a small 90 degree pick" ... until you can hook the carbs mating ring into the near edge of it and then you can roll the whole combo back into place while pushing it tightly to the rear as you go and let it pop into the intake. Almost all one motion once you get it started and do it a time or two. Taking advantage of that flimsy rear boot is the key.

Doug...
    littletommy likes this.

At some point you're gonna want to check your valve lash, too.
    littletommy likes this.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

I thought i had a carb problem. After reading more I'm gonna be checking valves tomorrow. First time checking with 800 miles on. Think I'll show any damage ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links