Air filter cleaning...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Air filter cleaning...

Air filter cleaning...

The manual suggests way more cleaning then seems needed for me and I was wondering how often and how dirty your filters get? What does it take to get them dirty? I'm imagining the rally in the desert in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

After one season of riding only dirt roads...occasionally dusty behind other bikes but I lagged behind to avoid being choked up, I check my filter and was surprised to see very little if any dirt. It had a faded corner that was lightly dirty so I cleaned just because I had it apart. I checked it again the following season and saw nothing new so I haven't change it since. I'm 3 years in and have only cleaned it once. I probably could have left it alone and had no problem with it. I might open it up soon just to get a fresh start for the season. I can't help but wonder if part of the suggested routine is to sell more Yama-products.

In Nova Scotia you can probably get away with that....not out here in the west. Here the recommended interval is totally inadequate...I have to clean mine every 500 miles. You really can't tell much by looking unless your filter is really dirty. Wash it in Kerosene in a shallow pan and see what comes out. I would guess every 2,000 miles would work OK for you. The manual recommendation of every 3,000 is only for all pavement riding in clean environments like Japan or Western Oregon.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I actually wish it was a paper filter as I think they catch finer particles especially for anything meant to run off road. I have bought vehicles with a K&N air filter an just threw them in the garbage. 1940s technology.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I clean mine every few rides in the summer, but spring and fall it could go a long way. Depends on how many bikes your ride with too and where is the pack.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Id say your safe on every year to check in your location or 1 1-2 year. Location is what will dictate your schedule for cleaning. Having a second filter cleaned and lightly oiled in a ziplock ready to go is a good idea also.
    littletommy and Cornelis like this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

If your filter is several years old they can dry rot. That's why I replaced mine. It had a big hole in the middle!

And the oil is what catches the dirt. Without it, a lot of nasty little dirt particles could get through it... Not that oil 'evaporates', but it would dry out over time. For the price of some oil and some kerosene or varsol I'd recommend cleaning it, just to know that it's oiled properly...but then again, I lay awake at night worrying about stuff like that.

I wash mine after all groups rides if I'm not leading - out here in the summer....day becomes night with so much dust in the air! I do tend to over oil my UNI filter - trying to cut back on that.

I guess you don't always need to wash it so much as freshen up the oil.
    JoelS likes this.
    Hidden Content
    My T-Dub! Hidden Content
    Youtube Channel Hidden Content

I would say anytime you are inspecting it, you might as well clean and oil it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    I guess you don't always need to wash it so much as freshen up the oil.
    Trail Woman and JoelS like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links