bike wont start without choke
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: bike wont start without choke

bike wont start without choke

what's up again guys....

so i've put about 387 miles on my 2017 tw200. i took my bike to the dealership because my bike won't start on fuel.... i have to start it up on full choke. i usually warm it up full and then half choke before riding. the dealership said this is normal and the bike just "runs cold."

is this true? i feel like i should be able to start up the bike without choke every time. i ride every or every other day. also if i dont let the bike warm up a bit after start it stalls when i pop it into first gear. i've heard dual sports clutch can get thrown out of whack when its breaking in.

i absolutely love the weight of the bike and how it rides for a 5'6 guy like me, i'd hate to sell it but it has been a bit quirky. convince me to not get the new rebel 500 or honda cb500x!
    littletommy likes this.

This was part of my very first post, 13 Jan 2017:

Off the showroom, it required choke (enrichener actually, on the TeiKei MV28 carb) for warm starts and it had idling issues (deceleration diaphragm seemed to affect fast idle...when it dropped to "normal" it would die on the 18 mile ride home. Drilled the plug and adjusted from factory 1 1/4 turns out to 2 3/4 allows restarts, even after 2 hours sitting in ~65 F ambient...and ended idle issues. Pilot, needle and main jets seem OK up to 5,000 feet elevation (home is 2,200)
    littletommy, Peterb, jbfla and 2 others like this.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

So strangle it until it starts, warm it until it doesn't need any choke, and ride the crap out of it like the rest of us.
    littletommy likes this.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What are the temperatures like where you live? When it's cold (say about 10 deg C /50 deg F or colder) my 2013 usually needs full choke to start then half choke to warm up. The colder it is the longer I need to keep it on full choke. Any warmer than that and it only needs half choke to start. Even in summer, I use half choke to start but I only need it for 15-30 sec max. I find the TW way less cold-blooded than my buddy's KLX250. His is a beast to start and needs several minutes on full choke to warm up.

The stall when you first drop it into first isn't unusual. The clutch plates stick a bit after sitting; again, it's worse when it's cold. Rolling forward a bit as you put it into first can help. Different oils make a difference too. Others here have lots of experience with various oil options.
    SportsterDoc and littletommy like this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

All normal. The pilot jet should be adjusted richer. All bikes have to pass California emissions, so they come from the factory as lean as they can get them. If you adjust the pilot, it will start better, warm up better and you won't need the choke (as much).
    For the clunk and stall, put the bike in gear before starting it, pull in the clutch and rock it back and forth until you feel the clutch plates release. Then start it and go when ready.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Cris, unless you live in the southern hemisphere where it is currently summer and also ride at sea level I would say your issue with the enrichening circuit is quit normal for a bone stock TW.
    The dealer is somewhat wrong with his generality, these TWs do not run so much cold but Califronia lean as LittleTommy so correctly points put. He also points out the common effective solution we use.
    Ken, SportsterDoc, Elvesus and 2 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

thank you all for helping out the newb again! i am in north carolina by the way, so i've been full choking in all kinds of weather..... 71 a few weeks ago, probably close to freezing last night lol.

I just done two bikes as tommy suggested last week and it certainly works as reported. Makes a completely new experience out of them.
    SportsterDoc, Ken, fishguy and 1 others like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

adjust that mixture screw as explained, use the choke like everyone else, and ride it like you stole it...... then when youre done with that buy the cb500x any ways and get a rally raid kit....
    https://www.cycleworld.com/honda-cb5...-raid-products
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Our member Bananachunks just got his new replacement Honda CB500x after his first got smashed on the streets of San Francisco last Halloween. We rode our TWs with him a couple of times and his Honda was very impressive. No choking with fuel injection is kind of nice.
    admiral, jbfla and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links