Close

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By TWpr413
  • 1 Post By Trail Woman
  • 2 Post By Purple
  • 5 Post By Fred

Thread: Strange chirping noises.

Question Strange chirping noises.

Yesterday as I was riding I heard a strange chirp noise, much like a bird. Since I live in Puerto Rico that noise isn't uncommon. I rode more and the noise became more frequent and longer durations. The bike seemed to be running fine. Then all of the sudden the noise started and the bike didn't seize but felt like the front brake was applied really hard. That lasted only about 4 to 5 scones. I pulled over started it back up and the engine didn't sound normal, slight banging noise, but still running. Since my location required me to ride it home, about 10 miles the engine noise got louder and louder and the chirping more frequent, but still running. It has lost a lot of power, something internally definitely gone bad. Any ideas before I take it into the shop, (which are hard to find good ones her).
    Thanks
    littletommy likes this.

I wouldn't start it again until you've resolved the issue. The first thing I'd check is that it's getting oil. This sounds like when I was sold the wrong filter. Common problem. If so put a couple drops of 2 stroke oil through the spark plug hole, drain oil, replace filter and new oil, and let it sit overnight. This worked in my situation and may for you but wait to confirm with others more experienced.

First up - have you changed the oil filter recently - as above. this is the most likely cause .....
    littletommy and Trail Woman like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is cause...then there is effect.
    As TWpr413 surmises something internally is amiss and it isn't a little bird chirping.
    Chirping could be dry cam bushing screeching, Valve stems sticking in guides, piston against cylinder, etc...
    I would first remove spark plug and slowly turn engine over by hand and listen carefully for when and where bad sounds occur. Maybe the little bird will chirp on every, or every other revolution. Every other revolution would make me think valve train, every revolution could be piston/ cylinder/ lower end bearing, etc. Constant chirping gearbox, no chirping unless in gear then final drive. Does a little oil in the spark plug hole lube the piston and make chirping dissapear?
    If you have mechanical skills and access to a compression tester then checking compression might help diagnose issue.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Rode it 87 miles after oil change so very doubtful it's oiling related.

Thinking dry cam bushing also.

If it was filter related you'd notice within the first 15 miles.

Sounds like the cam chain got too loose (= chirping noise), jumped a tooth (= sudden loss of power) causing the valve timing to be out of spec (= hard starting). Do you have the automatic or older manual cam chain tensioner and how many miles on the engine?

Sponosred Links