New TW200 Owner Stalling Issues when it first starts up
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New TW200 Owner Stalling Issues when it first starts up

New TW200 Owner Stalling Issues when it first starts up

Hi Folks,

I have a 2015 TW200, has only 250 miles on it. Its still cold here in March and when I start the bike up I need to leave the choke on for quite some time (about 5 minutes half choke) or else it will stall at regular idle. The last owner told me that the bike sat for almost a year, I put some fresh high octane gas in it. Once it is fully warmed up it seems to be fine. Not sure if this is normal or maybe if it is becuase the bike sat for so long. While I here I figured I would also ask if there is anything else I should consider looking into since it has been sitting for so long. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thanks!
    Pat

If the bike sat for almost a year with ethanol gas in it, it probably needs a thorough carb and tank cleaning. High octane gas will do nothing to help the carb....it's a waste of money...UNLESS it is non-ethanol....if so, you can mix it with regular octane E10 50/50. That will give you about 88 octane, but more importantly only 5% ethanol.....much better. Since it seems to run OK after warm-up, try three ounces of SeaFoam per tank two or three times, that may clear it up.

Also drill the plug on the idle jet needle, remove it with a drywall screw, bottom out the needle gently and then out 2.5 turns.

Change the oil immediately! 250 miles is only partially broken in, so continue the break-in with regular dino oil and 500 mile changes to 1,500 miles before switching to all synthetic. DO NOT buy a new oil filter!!!! Just inspect and clean the OEM one for many thousands of miles....that way you will never risk destroying the engine with the wrong filter, as WAY too many of us have.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I will only add one thing to the above perfect advice and that is that the seemingly cold nature'd startups were exactly the same as delivered from Yamaha for both of my TW's until I done the 2.25 turns out from bottom on the pilot needle. Made a total different bike out of each of them. You can expect to only need about half or less of the previously used choke.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey Rocky,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!!

Pat

Thanks Doug!

Quote Originally Posted by Pconner748 View Post
    Thanks Doug!
    Take note that you can drain the carb, remove the cables and fuel line, loosen the intake and boot clamps front and rear and rotate the carb in place to make the tweaks. Saves a lot of time and effort. Take note of how the spring is setup if you remove the cable pull/pull cam from the throttle blade shaft. I do it this way now and literally have it down to a few minutes. Any questions, just ask, pretty simple deal for the vast improvement it gives.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Looks like these guys have you squared away ok.

Welcome to the forum!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

You can actually twist the carb far enough to get at the pot metal plug without removing the throttle cables. Loosen up the boots well, because there is a small lug on the intake one that fits a slot on the carb and can get torn if not loose enough. You can easily make a special screwdriver for future adjustments in situ by buying a cheap small driver, cutting the blade off near the handle and grinding a new blade to fit.
    Smitty Blackstone and fishguy like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Doug, do you happen to have a link to a video that shows how to do this? I search around and there are a lot of carb mod videos but im not exactly sure one shows what you have mentioned.

Thanks!
    Pat

Thanks everyone again for the quick reply, I think I found a thread that has some pictures as well. It wont let me post a link since I am new. But it appears the plug i need to reomve is on the bottom front of the carb. Once this is removeed I simply screw in gently until it bootms out, and then back out 2.25-2.5 revolutions. Thanks again, i'll let you know how this works.

Pat
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links