Spark Arrester Screw
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By niqhowie
  • 1 Post By niqhowie
  • 1 Post By chris209

Thread: Spark Arrester Screw

Hi all, so in attempting to remove the spark arrester on my wife's '03 TW the screw which holds it in stripped (almost as soon as I tried turning it) despite the fact I had soaked it in PB Blaster for a couple of days. So in an attempt to remove the screw I tried the following methods:

1) Cursed at it

2) Tried a different screwdriver

3) Cursed the designers of said exhaust

4) Completely destroyed the screw head using a powered screwdriver

5) Shopped for a new exhaust on-line

6) Welded a screwdriver tip to the screw

7) Yeah that didn't work either but it was satisfying

8) Remembered I have an FMF slip-on exhaust in my rafters for the TW

9) Decided I didn't want to mess with re-jetting the carb (again)

10) Learned a TW exhaust won't fit in my bench vise

11) Cried. A little (okay maybe a lot)

12) Coerced my wife into holding the exhaust in-place on my work bench

13) Drilled a hole through the screw, used a screw extractor, got it out

14) Chucked screw as far as I could, but now it's out!

So my question is, has anyone found a bolt (so I can put a socket on so future removals will be less painful) that fits this exhaust? Thanks in advance. The good news is I have to do this on my other two TW's as well. Just for fun I tried turning the screw on my '07 TW with 1,600 miles on it. Yeah, it's seized in-place too.

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

haha 2012's bolt was the same, i figure they do it on purpose. but it does help to clean out the spark arrestor every couple thousand miles. i bought a tap and die set just incase
    jbfla likes this.
    "Peace be the journey"

MY BIKE BUILD- Hidden Content

-2012 tw200

Replace it with an allen head. Use NeverSieze and. remove it just for giggles occasionally just to keep it freed up..

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Replace it with an allen head. Use NeverSieze and. remove it just for giggles occasionally just to keep it freed up..

Thanks guys, I like that idea better than just using another Phillips head. Does anyone happen to know what size/thread type I need. It looks like fine thread to me but I'm unsure of the size, thanks!

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

This post got me thinking.I bought a 94 model in the summer.So I just went out to remove the screw to maybe clean it out.I lucked out, the screw came out easily,but the end cap isn't, any tips,besides spraying and soaking?
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

mine was B!#&$& to get off last night, and i have a 2012 model. the screw was stuck and stripped, luckily an impact socket(type you hammer) got the screw to free up and caught the very little threading there was. i saw another idea from someone else on here (sorry no name) to use an oil wrench for the end cap. THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA! I used a towel to grip the end cap with the oil wrench and just kept turning it to work out the rust that has inhibited inside. finally got to clean the arrestor and placing it back in today after i take it out of kerosene. sounds awesome without it!!!haha
    craig0ry likes this.
    "Peace be the journey"

MY BIKE BUILD- Hidden Content

-2012 tw200

Had to drill out my 2010. Welded a 1/4-20 nut in and used stainless hardware to secure the arrestor.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Quote Originally Posted by niqhowie View Post
    mine was B!#&$& to get off last night, and i have a 2012 model. the screw was stuck and stripped, luckily an impact socket(type you hammer) got the screw to free up and caught the very little threading there was. i saw another idea from someone else on here (sorry no name) to use an oil wrench for the end cap. THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA! I used a towel to grip the end cap with the oil wrench and just kept turning it to work out the rust that has inhibited inside. finally got to clean the arrestor and placing it back in today after i take it out of kerosene. sounds awesome without it!!!haha
    Some great tips here! Thank you so much.

I have a quick release on mine. Took original screw off with impact driver. Threw away. Now the part I used was the connecting bolt that connects the 2 push bar assemblies on a standard gas lawn mower i put a nut screwed all the way down for clearance reasons. Now allows me to pop and drop with just the flick of a wrist... here is a pic.,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scutler likes this.

Sponosred Links