TW200 problem areas
Close

Whats up Y'all.

I had been in the market for a dual sport and got a great deal on an '88 TW200. It had been sitting for a long time but it only had 975 miles on it and wasn't beat up. I traded it for a $300 pistol so I could justify putting some money in it. I went through the carb, put a battery in it, adjusted the valves, cam chain and put one of the clarke plastic tanks on it. It runs great for a 200. I'm just wondering about reliability. I don't like hiking 20 miles out of the mountains(actually I do but would rather do it when I plan on it) so I have concerns for reliability being as it is 25 years old. What kind of issues do they have or what are the weak points? Coil, ignition, charging system? What are some things to address or keep in mind? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!!!!

I have an 89 and got it when it had 1600 miles. I'm still using the original tires and these machines are very reliable. I've been way out in the boonies and no problems. You might want to get swap out your chain with oring type if it hasn't already been done.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

one thing you have to watch on a yamaha is electronics, ive owned 3 and ive had one cdi go out a stator and a 3 coils go out. most of this stuff ive replaced with aftermarket parts and never had another problem. except for the one that the cdi died im parting that bike out

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I bought a 2001 TW with 1900 miles and got to 15,500 miles before I sold it with no problems whatsoever. It probably would have gone another 15 with no failures, but with electronics you just never know... Some will go forever some burn out in under a month. Just treat the bike with utmost care and hope for the best.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

I have an '87 I bought with 2,305 miles on the odometer. The first thing I HAD TO DO was open the idle mixture screw about 3 turns which took if from a crappy runner to a sweetheart! The only two problems I have had where the engine stopped running were both times with the aftermarket fuel filter. The bike now has 19,551 miles on the odometer.

I have to add there is a very small leak at the cylinder base -- one that requires a wipe with a rag every 3 or 4 rides -- all other things done to it I consider maintenance like a new chain and sprockets, replacing the seals, cleaning the carb, etc. -- things you do at home so when you are out on the trail you have no worries .
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I have an '87 I bought with 2,305 miles on the odometer. The first thing I HAD TO DO was open the idle mixture screw about 3 turns which took if from a crappy runner to a sweetheart! The only two problems I have had where the engine stopped running were both times with the aftermarket fuel filter. The bike now has 19,551 miles on the odometer.

I have to add there is a very small leak at the cylinder base -- one that requires a wipe with a rag every 3 or 4 rides -- all other things done to it I consider maintenance like a new chain and sprockets, replacing the seals, cleaning the carb, etc. -- things you do at home so when you are out on the trail you have no worries .

I've got the mixture screw at 2 1/2 turns right now which is where I always ran these carbs, does it wake up at 3 turns? Also are these chains weak or are you considering it maintenance to change them?

Usually the stock chain will last several thousand miles?.Most riders change to a o-ring chain for extended durability and alot less chain adjustment....change the sprockets also(as suggested on other posts on this forum).You sound like you know what your doing,so, have fun!.

Quote Originally Posted by copperheadroad69 View Post
    Whats up

I like your Steve Earle reference. The song and album are near the top of my list of favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by copperheadroad69 View Post
    I've got the mixture screw at 2 1/2 turns right now which is where I always ran these carbs, does it wake up at 3 turns? Also are these chains weak or are you considering it maintenance to change them?
    It is not so much that 3 turns is the magic number, it is more the bike was running so poorly when I got it. It was an easy fix and because it was running so badly I was able to hammer the guy on the price.

Some where around 2 and 3 turns is the spot. Try 3 and if there is no improvement, or if it is worse, turn it back to 2.5.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links