• 1 Post By RockyTFS
  • 1 Post By Miaugi
  • 1 Post By brewhaha
  • 2 Post By rbm

Thread: Just some questions or thoughts

Just some questions or thoughts

Hey guys,

I was wondering some things after almost 1 year of usage of the TW200
    As some of you may know I purchased recently an XTZ 660 Teneré (waiting for insurance so I am still driving my TW200)

I noticed, and you guys helped me a lot, that during this year of use I had to put several times my hand on the bike to fix small issues or the adjust regularly some stuffs like the valves
    NOTE the bike is used with 47000 kilometers, not is almost at 62000, so I am not talkinga bout the first run in of the bike or anything similar

Sooo the thing is, I used to adjust the valves sometime, now I am noticing a thing, I am not adjusting them anymore, byt a very long time and I drive a lot, I really burn kilometers like nothing since I drive a lot every single day
    And I drive the bike hard recently since I have a new location to reach almost everyday which is connected by an highway, so everytime I am stuck at pretty much full throttle for quite sometime
    Also the valves seems to be always very cool, bike presents no issues during the drive, it gets warm super quickly compared to the previous months (I am notcing this positive behavious since january probably)
    The only thing I adjusted slightly the pilot screw by closing like 1/16 of a turn, barely touching the screw, ok it does not start when warm with the elctric start so I just blip the kickstart and it turns on instantly

So far the bike runs great and the valves seems to require no more adjustments, like if they are happy forver, and they make absolutely no noise

Just wanted to share, but what could cause this "lack of maintentance required"?
    Peterb likes this.

They may not make any noise – but don’t take that as meaning they are OK – they may be getting tight, so check them anyway

Most thing “settle down” in time – but with your miles, it may just be that you have them set up correctly to begin with – this will reduce wear, which means less adjustments

Take it easy on the XTZ 660 Teneré – very different bike …..
    Ken likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I adjust valves on my bike when I think (usually by hearing) they need to be. I'll check them with a feeler gauge every other oil change. But really... if you set them right and the bike is not brand-new and still breaking-in they will or should stay pretty close where they should be for a long time. Excessive milage and abuse not withstanding.
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    They may not make any noise — but don’t take that as meaning they are OK — they may be getting tight, so check them anyway

Most thing “settle down” in time — but with your miles, it may just be that you have them set up correctly to begin with — this will reduce wear, which means less adjustments

Take it easy on the XTZ 660 Teneré — very different bike …..
    Everything seems super fine on the TW to be honest, always same oil used etc etc, idk...

Yeah I drove the Tenere once from the dealer to my home with their plate since I have no van or anything to bring it to home, so I asked for the favor and they let me
    Is a very cool bike tho, way bigger and heavier compared to the TW, but it will be fine, I just have to wait for the insurance...
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    I adjust valves on my bike when I think (usually by hearing) they need to be. I'll check them with a feeler gauge every other oil change. But really... if you set them right and the bike is not brand-new and still breaking-in they will or should stay pretty close where they should be for a long time. Excessive milage and abuse not withstanding.
    Definetely I adjust them too when my ears tell me to do that but, maybe someone in the forum recalls how many threads I opened for any single matter, even the most imperceptible noise, and strangely enough the bike is not making any noise for at least 3 months now, except the drive chain which I had to tighten, well of course after 3000km it seems logical haha
    But it still surprise me, seems like the bike needs no more care... Of course I always change my oil and filter every 3000km and make sure I don't treat it bad, except my always full throttle behaviour haha
    Ken likes this.

Yes, the TW is low maintenance, but not NO maintenence! I check my valves about every 6,000 km., and they are usually still within spec but getting towards the limit, so I put them back in the middle.
    Ken likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Well I may have to add the line "be sure to check valves" before getting my bike on the road next month.
    Ken likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

I just bought a 2016 with 1100 miles on it. They guy said he did the initial break-in oil change. Should I trust him, or just go ahead and do one for good measure?
    Ken likes this.

rbm
    I'd change it again and check the filter for the 4 holes just to be safe.
    brewhaha and Ken like this.

Sponosred Links