Engine Year Model
Close

I have an extra TW200 motor but do not know the year model. How do you use the serial number on the engine to determine the year?

This was all I could find.... Might or might not work.... If all else fails call or email your local dealer.

http://www.ehow.com/...ne-numbers.html

Maybe we should have a sticky thread where we all enter in our bike year and engine numbers? That should be enough to narrow down a year...

The short answer is that you can't. There aren't enough identifiers.

You can narrow it down by the type of camchain adjuster, stator and carburetor.

There are 3 basic "series" of motors. All are mechanically identical except for carbs, camchain tensioner and stator type.

87-only has a manual camchain tensioner, slide carburetor and seperate lighting coil in the left sidecover. '88-'00 have a manual camchain tensioner, slide carb and single-phase charging system. '01-up have an automatic tensioner, CV carb and three-phase chatging system.

'01-up also typically have 8mm hex head bolts on the side covers and crankcase halves, but that isn't neccessarily set in stone. Early motors have JIS Phillips head screws.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    The short answer is that you can't. There aren't enough identifiers.

You can narrow it down by the type of camchain adjuster, stator and carburetor.

There are 3 basic "series" of motors. All are mechanically identical except for carbs, camchain tensioner and stator type.

87-only has a manual camchain tensioner, slide carburetor and seperate lighting coil in the left sidecover. '88-'00 have a manual camchain tensioner, slide carb and single-phase charging system. '01-up have an automatic tensioner, CV carb and three-phase chatging system.

'01-up also typically have 8mm hex head bolts on the side covers and crankcase halves, but that isn't neccessarily set in stone. Early motors have JIS Phillips head screws.
    Thanks. I knew it wasn't a 1987 but was curious what year model it is. It has no carburetor on it but from you information, it has to be a 1988 to 2000.

Sponosred Links