Winterizing...
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing...

My 2012 will be garaged for the winter here in a few weeks, I always add a Fuel stabilizer to my fuel, only have approx 250 miles since my last full service.

I will take out the battery and put it on a tender, run the tank down fairly low, spray some Yama-lube on the chain and sprockets, and that is all I have planned.

Am I missing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    My 2012 will be garaged for the winter here in a few weeks, I always add a Fuel stabilizer to my fuel, only have approx 250 miles since my last full service.

I will take out the battery and put it on a tender, run the tank down fairly low, spray some Yama-lube on the chain and sprockets, and that is all I have planned.

Am I missing anything?
    Drain your carburator bowl,and I run it dry,some people put in on a lift to keep weight off the suspension,and to avoid flat spots on your tires.Some remove spark plug and put a couple drops of oil in and cycle it a few times,but that is debatable.
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

I always add Stabil to the fuel tank. Run the bike for a bit to get the Stabil through the carb. Then I drain the carb. Remove battery or put it on a tender. I usually put the bike on blocks or a stand. I've never sprayed WD-40 or alike into the spark plug socket. However, I make a habit of going out and starting the bike every month or two to run some oil through it over the winter. Then I drain the carb again.

I generally try to change the oil as well, that way the sludge doesn't sit in there all winter.
    2009 CRF230F - 2013 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Empty the gas and put it in your car. No need for stabilizer. After running the carb dry, pull the bowl and spray everything with carb cleaner and reinstall. And definitely throw the battery on your tender. I usually just throw a new spark plug in at the beginning of the riding season. This is also a great time to lube and adjust everything so when it's time to ride again all you have to do is add gas and ride!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

A rag in the intake and exhaust to prevent mice from building a nest. If it's gonna sit outside or an outside garage maybe even remove the seat so they don't chew up the foam for a home.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pmtg View Post
    A rag in the intake and exhaust to prevent mice from building a nest. If it's gonna sit outside or an outside garage maybe even remove the seat so they don't chew up the foam for a home.

Good suggestion. I usually leave a radio playing in the garage and leave a box of Decon out for the winter as well. My grandfather told me leaving a radio on keeps the critters out of the garage, who knows how true that is.
    2009 CRF230F - 2013 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by sethhoffman6984 View Post
    Good suggestion. I usually leave a radio playing in the garage and leave a box of Decon out for the winter as well. My grandfather told me leaving a radio on keeps the critters out of the garage, who knows how true that is.

Guess it depends on what kind of music the station is playing. Rap music would keep them out for sure.

Tarp it (especially if it's outside, no matter where you live). That is unless you want it to develop a grizzled patina.
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Completely fill the fuel tank with gas (and a fuel stabilizer) to eliminate the air space in the tank as much as possible to prevent condensation of water vapor in the tank and water in the gas.

Once you winterize it, do not start it up once a month - just let it sit 'till you are ready to ride it in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    Completely fill the fuel tank with gas (and a fuel stabilizer) to eliminate the air space in the tank as much as possible to prevent condensation of water vapor in the tank and water in the gas.

+1 Fill the tank, use non ethanol gas! Add stabilizer!

Air in the tank causes rust! Run the Carb completely out of fuel, open the drain screw.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links