Race tech emulators - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Race tech emulators

Glad you are ok bummed for you for the loss of stuff. Also happy no one was hurt as a new 2018 was wreaked and totaled. Probably a record for first one done in.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    Yes, since it happened only 30 miles from home. Replacing everything will take some time, I had spent three weeks farkling the new 2018 to my exact desires learned over 8 years of riding the 2010....at least it is all fresh in my mind. The truck will be easier and the Aliner may be harder to find, they are not a high volume RV.

Badger, yes, the nice (but stupid) lady, who also ended up in the sage 50 yards away after a wild but straight ride down the same embankment was kind enough to take me and what we could immediately salvage right to my doorstep! She could drive her SUV out under it's own power. (!) I am going down to the debris field today to see what else we can find that isn't destroyed.

Thanks to all for you sympathies, I am very very lucky not to be in ICU or the morgue after such a violent crash. There are many other places in that stretch that have a boulder or lava field at the bottom of the embankment.
    littletommy likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    ..... Probably a record for first one done in.
    I'll bet that's true! Thx for sympathy. I finally went to the doctor today to verify that I really did have a mild concussion even though my head didn't hit anything but the headrest....she said I might have some PTSD too, but I don't think so...I haven't even had a nightmare yet. But contemplating all the work ahead in the next few months, I AM a bit pissed off.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by RockyTFS View Post
    I'll bet that's true! Thx for sympathy. I finally went to the doctor today to verify that I really did have a mild concussion even though my head didn't hit anything but the headrest....she said I might have some PTSD too, but I don't think so...I haven't even had a nightmare yet. But contemplating all the work ahead in the next few months, I AM a bit pissed off.
    Major bummer! Glad you made it out largely unscathed and no worse for wear. On the bright side...... you could have totaled the BMW.

Tom
    littletommy and Fred like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear about the crash Rocky, but the most important things is your in good shape..

I get it we are taking a "generic" part and adapting it however the thing that I expected purchasing racetech is the spreadsheet program that you put in all the conditions and it gives you a pretty close place to start. The both times I have put gold valves in other bikes, it was spot on. so I Almost feel "ripped off" with the no support on the website.. I emailed them and they gave me a few starting points. we should start a spread sheet with all the conditions of our bike and rider and riding style and how the emulators were finally set up.
    Ken and Badgerflorida like this.
    DMAN

TW200D

HODAKAS, 950 KTM ADV, YAMAHAS

"EVERY SOLUTION IS THE SEED OF THE NEXT PROBLEM"

YOU CAN HAVE IT GOOD, FAST, OR CHEAP = PICK 2

IF ITS GOOD AND FAST, ITS NOT CHEAP. IF ITS GOOD AND CHEAP ITS NOT FAST, IF ITS FAST AND CHEAP , ITS NOT GOOD.

That would be a great idea! Here is my data:

Rider: 200-220 lbs depending on gear and luggage.
    Bike: 2018 TW200
    Emulator setting: three turns on stock spring. (out of the box)
    Two new 1/4" holes at 90 degrees to and 3/4 inch above stock holes in damper rod, carefully de-burred and flushed. Existing holes bored to 1/4" and de-burred.
    Spacers cut down the thickness of emulators.
    Oil level: 130 mm.
    Ride: intended to be somewhat soft without bottoming on all but the hardest hits.

On my short testing last winter, this seemed to be about right. I could not get the forks to bottom, but I didn't jump off a 4 foot cliff either, just the roughest section of potholed road nearby at about twice the speed I would normally drive it. I was really looking forward to the worst washboard in the US: Death Valley!

Rocky
    Badgerflorida likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I finally got around to tuning mine after putting them in 5 months ago. I was regretting having to pull the whole fork tubes off again to adjust them, but then learned you can pull the springs and emulators out the top with a magnet. Only a 20 min job and well worth the time. I'm about 245 lbs so I changed the yellow springs to the red ones with the same spring adjustment. It was better but I pulled them out again and cranked them in 3 full turns. Now I think I got it pretty close to where I want it. Much better than the first adjustment and night and day over what it was stock. I love my TW!
    Ken and Badgerflorida like this.

Would be cool to have it in a spread sheet be a lot easier to find the information. Maybe I will start one and submit it for a sticky
    DMAN

TW200D

HODAKAS, 950 KTM ADV, YAMAHAS

"EVERY SOLUTION IS THE SEED OF THE NEXT PROBLEM"

YOU CAN HAVE IT GOOD, FAST, OR CHEAP = PICK 2

IF ITS GOOD AND FAST, ITS NOT CHEAP. IF ITS GOOD AND CHEAP ITS NOT FAST, IF ITS FAST AND CHEAP , ITS NOT GOOD.

Spreadsheet is a great idea.

Rocky - pissed off is the 4th stage of the grieving process, if you believe in such things. It’s tough losing all that stuff all at the same time. Glad you’re ok.

175lbs - 95% city street rider, trying to improve pothole performance

Christmas present from best wife ever purchased on Amazon
    From the box they had blue spring installed

My Initial setup:
    Switched to yellow spring, 2.5 turns
    Kept stock fork spring - measurement well within spec
    Drilled and deburred dampening rod per Racetech specs
    Did not cut spacer yet (I really want to see what it does, I realize I’m giving up more than an inch of the 6 inches of total travel)
    10wt Lucas synthetic fork oil at 135mm

No feedback as of today as there is still plenty of salt on the roads and snow in forecast.

As a side note, these emulators were intended for my 2001 and I intend to test them on it. But I really like the 1996 I recently bought, so I might swap them over at some point. Does anyone know if the dampener rods are interchangeable from 96 vs 01? Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Yes, I believe the damper rods have not changed since 1987.

I used some PVC for testing....first time cut 1/4 inch off spacer....not nearly enough unladen or laden sag. 1/2 inch....still not as much as I wanted for a compliant ride, nowhere near bottom on hard hits. End product: cut the steel spacers to just a tiny bit more than the thickness of the emulators (I had to even up the cut): Great ride on washboard, getting nearly (minus 1/2 inch) full travel but still haven't hit bottom, but I have not found a really good spot to try bottoming...hopefully I never will!!!!!

So, what is the 5th stage of the process......amnesia?
    Badgerflorida likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I purchased and installed the Race Tech emulators and heavy front springs. I believe mine came set up with the 3rd heaviest preload spring set to two turns of preload. The springs that came with mine were much longer than stock, so I completely removed the spacers and still had a good 1/2 to 3/4" of preload like the stock set-up had with the spacers. I left mine as they came out of the box. I found a download on Rach-Tech that suggests these are old RD 350 forks, which at 33mm I wouldn't doubt. All I know is that right out of the box they are 1000% better than stock. I split the oil 50/50. (8 oz in each leg) which works out to about 6.5" from the top of each leg with the caps off, springs in with the forks compressed. My bike is no longer harsh, and goes to where I'm looking, not to where it happens to bounce too.
    Trust Race-Tech and I think you'll be happy.
    admiral and Tweaker like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links