Clutch Grabs
Close

Thread: Clutch Grabs

Is it typical for the TW200 clutch to sort of grab as it reaches the final point of engagement? I bought my 2006 TW used with only 605 miles on it. Clutch grabs at final engagement point. Also seems to have a lot of jerk when shifting from neutral to first especially when cold. Does it some even when hot. Are these things normal? Thanks.

It sounds like this bike just needs some miles on it........ Being 6+ years old with such low miles it may still be tight.. My 06 dub runs much better now with 10,000 miles that it did when I rode home the first day... Using semi syn or full syn oil after good break-in will help the clutch and shifting problems. OMM.

If the chain is a little on the loose side it feels like the clutch is grabbing as it takes up the excess chain. So, check your chain adjustment and see if that helps the problem. Yes, it is common for the clutch to jerk when going from neutral to first. That's a symptom of a wet clutch. The cold oil makes the friction discs and plates stick together. A lot of people just pull in the clutch as they roll the bike out of the garage. That helps to break the plates loose. It also helps to let the bike warm up some before riding. I second omm's advice about riding it, and switching to synthetic when it is broken in.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My clutch used to "chatter" when engaging -- grab and let go very rapidly, vibrate -- until fully engaged. With use it went away and is now very smooth.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

my 2006 shifts much better with the following: 1. better with 3000+ miles than when it was in the hundreds. The bike kinda loosened up and became smoother around 1000 miles or so. 2. Mobile t4 full synthetic around 600 miles. 3. Chain adjusted on the tighter side of the spec rather than the looser end--DID brand o-ring on stock sprockets.

Dusty

Good replies everyone, I will try synthetic oil at the next change. Right now it has Valvoline motorcycle oil. I use 4t in my street bike, a Honda Rebel 250. Not sure why unless just some more use, but my clutch has much improved. Thanks all for the valuable advice....Dan P

Sponosred Links