Rejet
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Rejet

Rejet

I have a 2015 TW and I just installed a DG R series exhaust. I’m a complete newbe with the bike and I have been reading a lot about rejets after putting on a slip on exhaust. Can someone point me in the right direction? Pros? Cons? Is it necessary? I’m in NY so where I am is about 600 feet above sea level.

Sorry Sara, I can't help with your jetting questions but welcome to the forum!

Me either...

Welcome to the forum!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I also have a 2015 and did a lot of research on doing a rejet. I would start with the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb. There is a little silver cap on it. That has to be removed. You can screw a screw in it a little and work the cap back out and off. Set it to 2 1/2 turns out and see how it does. Then you can go from there. I did everything at once instead of one step at a time and it caused me a lot of frustration but the guys on here got me straightened out.
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

If this verse is true (and it is) then what does it say about Christ’s love? He died for us not when we were His friends but when we were His enemies.

2015 TW200
    2009 Harley Fat Boy

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Hi Sara, welcome to the forum! I'll ask how long that you've had the bike, and have you noticed any changes to the way it runs since putting on the DG? Generally, the stock exhaust is not considered restrictive, so just adding the new can shouldn't make that much difference, if at all. I don't have one, so I don't know, but I'm familiar with the carb. I'd say that if you don't notice any noticeable negative running symptoms, then you can continue running it as is.

If you want to do some tweaking, then let's start with some learning, then we can go to work. Here is the carb and all of its parts... https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...ification.html

Here is a very close representation of how our carbs work:

and here is a general guide on https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...rb-tuning.html
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
    Hi Sara, welcome to the forum! I'll ask how long that you've had the bike, and have you noticed any changes to the way it runs since putting on the DG? Generally, the stock exhaust is not considered restrictive, so just adding the new can shouldn't make that much difference, if at all. I don't have one, so I don't know, but I'm familiar with the carb. I'd say that if you don't notice any noticeable negative running symptoms, then you can continue running it as is.

If you want to do some tweaking, then let's start with some learning, then we can go to work. Here is the carb and all of its parts... https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...ification.html

Here is a very close representation of how our carbs work:

and here is a general guide on https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...rb-tuning.html
    Sara do what Larry says. He helped me get my 2015 perfect. Thanks again Larry!
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

If this verse is true (and it is) then what does it say about Christ’s love? He died for us not when we were His friends but when we were His enemies.

2015 TW200
    2009 Harley Fat Boy

Hi Sara. I think you will need to rejet. If you have read any of my posts you will know when I bought my bikes they didn’t run right. The P.O. put on DG pipes and couldn’t tune them. Don’t mess with the air box as that affects tune too. Try to search the forum for carb rejetting. Under the Tech stickies lizardbrth posted some good carb tuning tips. Below this thread are similar threads about rejetting.

I Ended up with a 130 main jet, #34 pilot jet (easier starting), 2 -.02” washers on the needle an @ 2 -21/2 turns on the pilot screw. You can tune the carb with out removing it by loosening the screws that hold it to the rubber boots and rotating it clock wise so he bottom and top is exposed. You may have to remove the throttle cables to rotate it, Do some you tube searches on adding shims to CV carbs and also changing jets, etc. In the Tech stickies are carb pics and other info about adjusting the pilot screw etc.

Here is a cut from Larrys advice below:

“Okay, it sounds like you're pretty with it. Hopefully you've grabbed the service manual and the 2001+ addition as downloads. I would start with the valve adjustment. It's a pretty quick and easy job, and if they are out they can be a source of poor performance as well as noise. The cam adjuster will be the new automatic model that has no manual adjustment. It can be noisy also, but it doesn't mean it's bad. If you wanted to by a gasket for it, all you have to do is remove it, and check that it does not push in. It automatically moves out as slack develops in the cam chain, then locks into that position. If it can be pushed back in...it's bad and needs to be replaced. If it's bad it can allow slack in the chain causing timing issues, noise, etc.

2006 non-cali will have the newer CV carb from Teikei. I would clean it first. Take it apart, learn it, see what number is stamped on your main jet. Order a float bowl gasket, a needle valve kit, and the pilot screw kit. I, too, am in the "if it's running fantastic, then don't dick with it!" camp, but if you're pretty competent, you don't rely on the bike as your primary transportation, and you want the experience...then go ahead and play. Make note of how it is set up stock though, what main jet it has, and exactly how much the pilot screw is out from a lightly seated position. You can farkle things up really fast and wished you'd left it alone, but if you know how to get back, you can have confidence to try to dial it in better.

The stock main jet is probably a 125 or 126. If you are really into tuning your carb, just order a 128, 130, and 132. The 128 is probably going to be your CO jet, the 130 is a good sea-level jet, and the 132 can be a good choice for sea-level at your +100 degree temps. Since they are about $6/ea, you may even want to order a 125. If you have a 126 stock, then you will have the whole range to try out. Plus, if you are running too rich now, or if you run really high in CO, you'll have the leaner jet to try. When you go to raise your needle you'll need some shims or washers, as they'll be referred to on the forum. Alot of users have run the stainless McMaster 1/8" shims with a .010" thickness to to dial it in with since raising the needle between .020"-.050" seems to be the sweet spot. Those cost about $10-15 for a pack of 25. The cheaper route is going to the hardware or hobby store for 2.5mm flat washers. They are usually around .020"-.025" in thickness, and are around $0.10/ea. I can't recommend strongly enough to take it on with patience and follow Qwerty's directions in the carb tuning thread to be successful.

I'll also quote Qwerty from this thread for good info, "At normal altitudes, say sea level to 4000 feet, a #130 main, 2 flat washers pounded a bit thin, and 2.5 turns on the pilot is sweet, unless the air temp is really hot, in which case a #132, one flat washer under the needle, and 2.5 turns on the pilot screw will be a bit rich and will serve to lower engine temps a bit. If you want best fuel efficiency go with a #128, 2 flat washers under the needle, and 2.25 turns on the pilot screw. Higher than 4000 feet or so go with a #128, 1 flat washers under the needle, and 2 turns on the pilot screw. Above 7000 feet, #126 main, 1 washer, 1.75 turns on the pilot screw. That all works on Tdub, most of the time. YMMV."
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Wow thanks everyone this is helpful!
    littletommy likes this.

I think I’m running lean now. It take me forever to get the bike warm with choking it. I know they are cold blooded but since my exhaust change it takes wayyyyyyy longer. Also I have popping back during deceleration and down shifting. Are these signs I should rejet? Or turn the screws out a bit? Small changes one at a time is what I’m hearing everyone say!
    Badgerflorida and littletommy like this.

If you work on your carb you will need JIS screw drivers they look like Phillips head but they are not. JIS stands for Japanese Industrial standard I bought mine on Amazon. There is a jIS screw driver in the tool kit but it is too large for the bowl screws but works for most other screws on the bike. The screws that tighten the boots to the carb are JIS and also the carb bowl screws on the bottom. The screws are soft and easily stippped out if you use Phillip screw drivers. Many replace the bowl screws with Allen head screws which are metric. If you haven’t taken a carb apart before get help from someone that has or watch a lot of you tube videos. Take pics of how it looks as you remove stuff.

I bought these screw drivers.

Bessel (Vessel) Ball Grip Difference and Screwdrivers Set No.220w-3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E55DL4I..._BOoWAb8C4F83A
    Last edited by Tweaker; 04-01-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    Badgerflorida likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links