carb jetting
Close

Thread: carb jetting

I live in las cruces new mexico, elevation is 4000 ft. everyone says these carbs run lean. im more than likely going to have to re jet here. i am ABSOLUTELY NEW TO THE BIKE WORLD. i've rebuilt edelbrock/rochester 4 barrels and such but dont know what type of jets to run on these. i've read that 130 is usually what people go with. i took off the spark arrestor and im putting a less restrictive(and A LOT LOUDER) spark arrestor on the bike from a local shop. r

when i start it cold (colder than 70 degress) the bike will not allow any throttle, i have to pull the choke halfway out and it will then warm up perfectly.

I'm mostly concerned about summer time (100 + degrees) around here since im off road a lot. lean is mean, but sometime its BAD! i've seen what happens with valves.

any help or advice for my area would be nice. im drilling the cap off the fuel mixture idle screw to my carb tonight to mess with the stock jet before i mess with the spark arrestor.

THANK YOU GUYS! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!
    "Peace be the journey"

MY BIKE BUILD- Hidden Content

-2012 tw200

Well, do you live at the base of Wheeler or down on the Pecos? There's around 10,000 feet of elevation between the two.

The mean average in N.M. is over 5,000 feet. If you live within the norm you may squeak by with stock jetting and a little fine tuning.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Well, do you live at the base of Wheeler or down on the Pecos? There's around 10,000 feet of elevation between the two.

The mean average in N.M. is over 5,000 feet. If you live within the norm you may squeak by with stock jetting and a little fine tuning.

Im bordering the el paso texas state line. And dont plan to really go elsewhere right now

after work(haha) im going home to drill off the fuel mixture cap and screw it all the way in. back it out 2 full turns then was told to do 1/4 turns after. i just dont want to fry it with the HUGE decrease in back pressure, and making it more lean! Also i do have a 3yr manu warranty. and was told by my dealership that "i can tinker with it, just dont do it wrong!" haha i just want it a lil louder quite honestly and i hear itll give it just a bit of power
    "Peace be the journey"

-2012 tw200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I see you've kinda filled in the blanks now. lol.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by niqhowie View Post
    I live in las cruces new mexico, elevation is 4000 ft.

I live and ride at 4,000 to 9,000 with the stock 126 jet on my 2010 with no problems whatso-ever. Dropped the front sprocket to 13 for better power and low speed operation at these altitudes. Works great! I can still go 60 on the highway.

I took the bike down to Death Valley a month after purchase and all I did was raise the needle one shim. It still ran perfectly. I would only be concerned with the stock jet at sea level for extended WOT running in temps over 90. At 4,000-7,000 the stock jet is exactly right.

Remember early TW's use a different carb that takes a 114 stock. You didn't say what year you have.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I'm also at 4,000 ft., roughly the same elevation as Las Cruces.

I concur with Rocky. Of course once you yank your spark arrestor all bets are off.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I live and ride at 4,000 to 9,000 with the stock 126 jet on my 2010 with no problems whatso-ever. Dropped the front sprocket to 13 for better power and low speed operation at these altitudes. Works great! I can still go 60 on the highway.

I took the bike down to Death Valley a month after purchase and all I did was raise the needle one shim. It still ran perfectly. I would only be concerned with the stock jet at sea level for extended WOT running in temps over 90. At 4,000-7,000 the stock jet is exactly right.

Remember early TW's use a different carb that takes a 114 stock. You didn't say what year you have.

Thank you for the reply! i have a 2012, with the mikuni 28mm carb im putting a different spark arrestor on my stock muffler. (we dont have any strict emission laws in new mexico, but i would still like to be compliant amd it is usfa certified)it literally has nearly the same decibel level sound with it on, as it does with it OFF. so im more than positive that backpressure has been dropped significantly. i will pop a tiny bit while letting off the throttle. in the morning (60 degress lately) it will warm up with half choke within 3 minutes. any warmer doesnt require choke... let me tell you it DOES have a lil more noticeable power. I put a new plug at the beginning of the week to see how the electrode looks after running it to let me know if ill need to jet up...
    "Peace be the journey"

-2012 tw200

Sponosred Links