slipping clutch
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: slipping clutch

  1. #1
    Junior Member tpar1220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14
    i pulled carb on my 07, drilled slide, shimmed needle and went up one size on main jet. the lil beast spins up and pulls harder than before. the gain is noticeable. only problem is.... now when motor really starts to pull, the clutch won't hold it. don't think it's oil related, it's non synthetic and always fresh. cable is adjusted properly as well, even loosened it up so far as it walks a bit when stopped.



    any idea where to get slightly stiffer springs?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Turtle Chaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Fieldbrook Valley CA northcoast
    Posts
    254
    Just for the record how many miles are on it and what oil are you using (weight, type,brand) ?
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

    now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Senior Member catamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    323
    I would add that we've had several people re-jet and shim their needles without having clutch issues.



    One thing to check -- when at rest, does the clutch arm on the left side of the engine case line up with the hash mark on the engine case itself?



    If not, the service manual specifies how to re-align the two.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .



    TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member tpar1220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14
    i got it worked out, after seeing a pic on a different thread. apparently the spring on clutch accuating arm coming outta case doesn't get attached properly on some bikes from factory.after seeing that i went out to check mine and sure enough it was under arm instead of attached to it. so arm never released fully. i dug it out and re attached it and no more slipping!



    runs great....



    btw.... bike has just turned 2,000 miles and i run rotella 15 40 in all my bikes with no issues. klr650,husky te610, dr350, cm400a..... never a problem with rotella.



    thanks for help...











    Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    I would add that we've had several people re-jet and shim their needles without having clutch issues.



    One thing to check -- when at rest, does the clutch arm on the left side of the engine case line up with the hash mark on the engine case itself?



    If not, the service manual specifies how to re-align the two.

  6. #5
    Senior Member catamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by tpar1220 View Post
    i got it worked out, after seeing a pic on a different thread. apparently the spring on clutch accuating arm coming outta case doesn't get attached properly on some bikes from factory.after seeing that i went out to check mine and sure enough it was under arm instead of attached to it. so arm never released fully. i dug it out and re attached it and no more slipping!



    runs great....



    btw.... bike has just turned 2,000 miles and i run rotella 15 40 in all my bikes with no issues. klr650,husky te610, dr350, cm400a..... never a problem with rotella.



    thanks for help...


    Wow, it's amazing how many bikes this is common on. Pretty sad statement about Yamaha quality control!
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .



    TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

  7. #6
    Junior Member tpar1220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Wow, it's amazing how many bikes this is common on. Pretty sad statement about Yamaha quality control!




    i was thinking this very thing as i was trying to pry that spring out from under the arm. for the life of me i can not figure out how it could have come off, once it's on properly..... there is no way that i can see.... that it can just slip off. it had to be over looked from factory.



    i have not had the cable or lever off the bike. soomeone from the factory.... just messed up. glad thats all it was, i was just gettin ready to remove clutch cover and have a look see inside.



    glad a checked here first...




  8. #7
    Moderator vuldub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    652
    It's a sticky note now:

    Clutch Spring
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

  9. #8
    Senior Member srs713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Smyrna, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    Wow, it's amazing how many bikes this is common on. Pretty sad statement about Yamaha quality control!


    Not just Yamaha... it's also on the dealer. They charge for "Dealer Prep." on a new bike ... for what?



    They come 2 in a crate and "some assembly required". I wonder how many other types of bikes have this same problem. This clutch lever assy. can't be exclusive to the TW.



    Most dealer shops probably have the "shop helpers" doing new bike prep. Their good mechanics are busy working on something else.

    Stephen S.

    '07 TW200:

    15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

    tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

    Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

  10. #9
    Junior Member tpar1220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post


    Not just Yamaha... it's also on the dealer. They charge for "Dealer Prep." on a new bike ... for what?



    They come 2 in a crate and "some assembly required". I wonder how many other types of bikes have this same problem. This clutch lever assy. can't be exclusive to the TW.



    Most dealer shops probably have the "shop helpers" doing new bike prep. Their good mechanics are busy working on something else.





    It's a sticky note now:


    sweet.... thanks.

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Slipping clutch...????
    By rastaman in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 11:09 AM
  2. Slipping Clutch
    By yawabala in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM
  3. Another Slipping Clutch
    By FnMag in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
  4. clutch slipping
    By dubstep in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM
  5. Clutch slipping!
    By AttitudeXX in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 08:10 PM

Search tags for this page

tw200 clutch slip

Click on a term to search for related topics.