New to the TW and looking for some answers.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New to the TW and looking for some answers.

New to the TW and looking for some answers.

So I have a 89 TW200 that I got in trade for the ol' lady and it would seem like it needs a stator and pulse generator. That's if I tested it correctly. So my question is, is there some way to swap from 01+? Cause all the stators and pulse coils are stupid expensive. Can some please explain any difference or what kinda swap they have done? Or anybody got either for a decent price? Thanks for any input!
    littletommy likes this.

Hi Justin, welcome to the forum!

Mechanically, you can swap a 2001+ stator into your engine by swapping the flywheel, and left side cover/stator. That is how I transplanted a 2000 TTR225 engine into a 2007 TW. I am not sure if your 1989 CDI would work or if you would need the newer CDI and/or other electrical changes.

Is the bike running at all? The reason I ask is because others have replaced coils, stators, etc., only to find that they were not the problem. Unfortunately, I can't offer you much electrical assistance.

Brian

When you change the front sprocket, you first remove the left side crankcase cover (and the oil) – when you put that cover back on, the stator magnet tries to fight you, making it a bit of a nightmare

If, during that struggle, you inadvertently pinch the wires comes up from the stator, you will lose power from the magneto, and signal from the pulse coil

For this reason, I would do the tear down and inspect closely before ordering anything

Welcome to the board ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Justin89TW View Post
    So I have a 89 TW200 that I got in trade for the ol' lady and it would seem like it needs a stator and pulse generator. That's if I tested it correctly. So my question is, is there some way to swap from 01+? Cause all the stators and pulse coils are stupid expensive. Can some please explain any difference or what kinda swap they have done? Or anybody got either for a decent price? Thanks for any input!
    Since your unsure if you tested it correctly, how about telling us how you tested it.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

You traded your old lady for an old TW that doesn't run?
    I love a good beer buzz in the morning

Welcome. Good advice here.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

X2 on what they said. It could easily be a poor connection or other issue. We dont know your abilities so tread lightly, dont "jump" anything using power. I would use the schematic to eliminate everything but the basic circuits needed to make the bike fire. Lets look at a schematic. I have an 89 engine laying at home but dont know that system right off, I have 2007 bikes.
    Last edited by Swingarm; 04-01-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    When you change the front sprocket, you first remove the left side crankcase cover (and the oil) – when you put that cover back on, the stator magnet tries to fight you, making it a bit of a nightmare

If, during that struggle, you inadvertently pinch the wires comes up from the stator, you will lose power from the magneto, and signal from the pulse coil

For this reason, I would do the tear down and inspect closely before ordering anything

Welcome to the board ....
    Really. Check those wires FIRST. They can be pinched very easily. If they are it can display the same "test" results as a failed coil, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Nutt View Post
    You traded your old lady for an old TW that doesn't run?
    Right? Seems like a good trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links