Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By canyncarvr
  • 3 Post By Nicoradv
  • 1 Post By phelonius
  • 1 Post By Pete H

Thread: Opinions requested

Opinions requested

From folks that have done it, it is said the top tapered roller replacement for the TW steering stem sits 'up' a bit. Would any consider this to be a problem? Does this fit 'above' damage the integrity of the installation and therefore, bearing usefulness?

Given two options, I'd choose the top outer race to be a bit above the stem tube than below the stem tube. If it was below, that would be a great place for moisture to pool and cause problems.

The right way for the bearing to sit is, well, in the right spot; neither below or above the tube, but in a way that allows the dust seal to have the best chance of doing its job. Apparently, that isn't something that needs to be considered.

I've replaced steering stem bearings a handful of times in different machines. The tapered rollers I used in those cases always fit 'right'.

The top of the stem isn't likely to be subject to a drenching downpour, to be submerged, or packed full of mud.

I'm just asking for opines to be proffered. I know they're out there. It's been said that everybody has one.

Thanks for yours!
    Ken and Smitty Blackstone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by canyncarvr View Post
    From folks that have done it, it is said the top tapered roller replacement for the TW steering stem sits 'up' a bit. Would any consider this to be a problem? Does this fit 'above' damage the integrity of the installation and therefore, bearing usefulness?

Given two options, I'd choose the top outer race to be a bit above the stem tube than below the stem tube. If it was below, that would be a great place for moisture to pool and cause problems.

The right way for the bearing to sit is, well, in the right spot; neither below or above the tube, but in a way that allows the dust seal to have the best chance of doing its job. Apparently, that isn't something that needs to be considered.

I've replaced steering stem bearings a handful of times in different machines. The tapered rollers I used in those cases always fit 'right'.

The top of the stem isn't likely to be subject to a drenching downpour, to be submerged, or packed full of mud.

I'm just asking for opines to be proffered. I know they're out there. It's been said that everybody has one.

Thanks for yours!
    the lower race/bearing fit fine.

After i installed the upper race and put the rollers in there, I don't see any problem with it that way.
    buttoned mine back up after looking real hard at it and the way it went together, that top bearing is sealed from moisture still.
    I for see no regrets with this setup.

I don't consider that top bearing to be load bearing, more of side to side and not much of that really.
    Last edited by Nicoradv; 04-04-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    Ken, Tweaker and Old n dirty like this.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

I am opinionated but I would agree with that.
    Ken likes this.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it exposes the bearings to weather or high pressure washes I would think it's a problem. I no longer use high pressure sprayers on any of my machines. back in the mid 80's I had a Suzuki SP500 duel purpose. Basically the grandfather to the DR 650. My buds and I all had DP bikes and regularly muddied them up, then took them to self serve car washes. I'm my third year of ownership I decided to tear it down, replace any missing fasteners, and paint the frame. I was horrified at what I found. both the steering stem, and swing arm bearings had trapped water. Surface rust was on all the bearings which had to be replaced. The bike had less than 12,000 miles.
    When replacing the rear spring on my 2008 tw I noticed just how dried and cracked the shock bolt seals were. I plan on doing a good tear down this year and replacing the dried up rubber products and using good quality waterproof grease. Hopefully I'll catch it before having to replace the expensive stuff.
    Old n dirty likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete H View Post
    If it exposes the bearings to weather
    It doesn't, provided he puts it back together right.

That very bottom seal 3/8 in thick or so is reused. Hopefully its still pliable.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

The 'steering' IPB I looked at (partzilla..although all diagrams I've seen are the same) does not show the bottom seal. That part is in the 'forks' IPB. That seal fits on the clamp, NOT the stem. I didn't understand how the old seal could be used in addition to the kit seal and everything still fit properly. AllBAlls sent me the attached pic. Different diameters!

The PN for that seal: 164-23462-00. It's available on the web.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by canyncarvr View Post
    The 'steering' IPB I looked at (partzilla..although all diagrams I've seen are the same) does not show the bottom seal. That part is in the 'forks' IPB. That seal fits on the clamp, NOT the stem. I didn't understand how the old seal could be used in addition to the kit seal and everything still fit properly. AllBAlls sent me the attached pic. Different diameters!

The PN for that seal: 164-23462-00. It's available on the web.
    Put it back on anyway. That images shows exactly why i did put it back on.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

Sponosred Links